cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

land line problems

davidadam
Joining in

we're having a nightmare with our landline, which is important as it's the only way our kids can contact us if we're out of the house.

first it was really crackly so i checked all the connections and eventually bought a new phone.

now we can't get a dial tone so it's effectively useless

i can't get through on the phone (ho ho) and from browsing this site, am i supposed to now plug the landline into the Virgin router? If so, where do i get the right adaptor as it won't fit.

help!

david

12 REPLIES 12

davidadam
Joining in
I just got a blue badge for my new Virgin profile. which is nice. but can someone please help me fix my landline?

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @davidadam

Welcome to the community 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your landline at the moment. There are some customer that are migrating over to the the IP phone system, where the landline phone will connect into the router rather than a master socket or extension on the wall. You would have had communications from us regarding this if your area was migrating over soon. When we do, we'll either send the adapter with the communications advising the date when the switchover will happen, or advise that a engineer is needed for your set up to complete the process. 

With your landline can you confirm if you are pulled into a master socket or extension and how many pieces of equipment are connected to the phone line?

There are a few troubleshooting checks I will need you to perform to see if they are successful in resolving the issue. Can you: 

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON.
  • Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets.
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

Let me know if any of these checks work at all, or if anything changes with the dial tone. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thanks Carley

It's a master socket, with nothing else connected. It doesn't have a logo on it, but I am pretty sure it's a VM connection as the landline worked perfectly well for years when we were also with VM. the landline even worked intermittently last week -- my son was able to call out on it -- but now there's no dial tone at all. the phone itself if fine. weirdly, when i call the landline from my mobile, the handset rings, but when you answer it it's dead and to the caller it just rings out 

Ah okay, thank you very much for the information. Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and investigate this further. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks so much for your private message @davidadam, I have now booked you a visit for your landline issue – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Here to help 🙂
Carley

thanks but i can't see any info in my account? under appointments it says i don't have any?

can you please just tell me when it is?

ignore -- i found it in the phone app.

thanks for sorting that

that

It can take an hour or so for the system to update your online account. The appointment is booked and will be visible in the Orders and Appointment area shortly. 

If you need to reschedule the appointment at this time, I can do this for you now in the time being whilst the account is still updating. 

I have confirmed your appointment time and date in our private message conversation. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley