Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: my father is unable to phone my landline

I've taken the liberty of having this merged with your existing topic.  It's easier to follow if you stick to the same thread for the same ongoing problem.

First of all I have to say I don't work for Virgin Media, were I to work for them, I'd be disgusted at this suggestion here from phone support:

He said   try a new handset so will have to go and buy one

Sometimes phone support need to use a bit of common sense.  If you're father is dialing a number and getting a message saying that "This line is not accepting calls at present".  Then I'm reasonably certain that you getting a new handset is NOT going to magically make things work, nor for that matter will him getting one.

Is your father on BT?
Have you tried dialling your home number?  Does it ring when you try it?
Have you been able to double check what happens when you dial from your fathers phone?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
kimdanny
Joining in
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi thank you for trying to help me.   My father is on a BT landline and they have been very helpful and have spent a long time on the phone with me from his landline going through lots of different checks with me.  I have rang my landline from my dads and can confirm that the message does say that my number is not accepting calls and although this is the case no other caller has this problem getting through to me.

Some one reminded me that this problem started last may and has been on going all this time.  My home was flooded in the may storms and totally wiped out my whole virgin system.  The engineers that came in had to replace all equipment and a new telephone socket .  could that be a problem although I think that seems highly unlikely.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I personally wouldn't like to give a specific cause as it's all too easy to go off on a red herring.

However I am going explain a bit of my background so you can understand why I'm about to give the advice I am.

I used to work for Cable and Wireless operator services in late 1990's to mid 2000's, taking calls for people connected to the various Cable Networks on the 100 & 999 services.  Where people had difficulty dialling numbers, we'd often attempt the connection and if the number was unobtainable for us as well we'd referring them to the carrier for the destination after checking the number was still showing as valid.  (In the case of a BT number, we'd speak to our counterparts in BT to confirm that the number was still in service first).

HOWEVER

On occasion we'd come across a situation where a Cable customer was getting not recognised or a similar message whereas when we dialled the same number we'd be able to connect.

In those circumstances we would refer the caller BACK to their Cable Company. - The reason for this is that when a call is routed across the different phone networks, it's best to try and trace the problem from the start of the route to find out where the routing is going wrong.

So I would say your dad needs to contact BT and be quite firm with them and point out that you yourself can dial your home number from elsewhere but your dad cannot.  Therefore rather than passing the buck, BT should be taking steps to investigate why this is happening.

Tim

Edit I'm not a Virgin Media employee, this is my own personal opinion, what I am going to do is to ask the Forum Team lead to see if he can reach out to see if Virgin Media can do anything from their end, just in case they have any process in place for assisting here.  However as stated my personal feeling is that this is BT's responsibility to investigate and quite frankly I'm shocked that this has been going on since last May.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
kimdanny
Joining in
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you once again.  I will contact B T again and will let you know how I get on.  And yes its been going on for a long time but because I  didnt get anywhere in the first few months with trying to find out what had gone wrong I gave up but my dad has become unwell so I have decided to challenge the fault  again

0 Kudos