Menu
Highlighted
watty51
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

calls to wrong person

Hi

Got a concern with landline. I have a call minder fitted so never/rarely get "dodgy" calls but do get occasionally calls from legitimate places such as Social work. schools. council offices and banks looking for different people. When I ask about this they reply is always "Hmm I called the number on our system" Since I have only ever called my local council from mobile, i'm confused about why this is happening. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: calls to wrong person

Firstly, dial your own number from your mobile to make sure you don't have a crossed line.

How long have you had the Landline?

All Landline (& most mobile) numbers are recycled, with a churn (left unused) time of 3 months to a year before being re-issued. So you can get calls for people who used to have the number.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
watty51
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for reply. Called landline from mobile. Rang OK. Been with Virgin since September 2018. I also had the occasional call when I was with Sky and reported the same concern to them. I didnt get any calls in the previous few months so assumed it was sorted. Obviously not. My concern is that the occasional message left on voicemail appears to be important and wouldnt like to think there was something I could do to sort it.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Watty51.

Thanks for confirming. Really sorry that you're getting unwanted calls on your home phone. I appreciate that this has been on going for a while now.

You can click here to learn more about how we can stop getting this.

If it still doesn't help, we'll be more than happy to look into this further and we can do this via online chat.

Let us know how it goes.

Rule_C

0 Kudos
watty51
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

had a chat as suggested but the only option was to change my number which I dont really want to do. I still think this is a technical fault since the calls I get are never for the same person but from a variety of organisations such as schools, council, bank, social work, hospitals. Find it hard to believe that my number has been used several times.

0 Kudos
watty51
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Meant to say these calls arent the usual spam. I screen them with call minder.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me, Watty51.

As was advised on the previous post, landline numbers are recycled so it may have been a number or a similar number that was used for a different reason. Have you been able to ask the people phoning what number they're trying to get through to?

If you check the link that was given above, the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the only official register to help prevent unsolicited calls. Registering with the TPS will make sure your phone number isn’t available to organisations that make this type of call.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Rule_C

0 Kudos