cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic compensation

nazcom
Joining in

Hi folks, can someone help me with the 3 questions I have

<span;>1. I lost full service of my phone line, then a week later lost full service of my broadband. I was told my automatic compensation only starts 2 days after my phone and broadband was lost. however the guidance says OR. can someone clarify ?

<span;>2. I didn't get any service for December but was still charged for December bill. however the advisor credit my account for that bill. I was then told that my compensation will be reduced by the amount credited. however that was for my payment anyway. can they do that ?

<span;>3. I cancelled my contract but was charged line rental for the next month and was told I had to pay this as virgin kept my line open as I wanted to port my number to my new provider. however I cancelled my contact on 29th December and only contacted my new provider on the 8th Jan. should I be charged after I have already cancelled my contract.

<span;>sorry for the long post 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@nazcom wrote:

<span;>1. I lost full service of my phone line, then a week later lost full service of my broadband. I was told my automatic compensation only starts 2 days after my phone and broadband was lost. however the guidance says OR. can someone clarify ?

<span;>2. I didn't get any service for December but was still charged for December bill. however the advisor credit my account for that bill. I was then told that my compensation will be reduced by the amount credited. however that was for my payment anyway. can they do that ?

<span;>3. I cancelled my contract but was charged line rental for the next month and was told I had to pay this as virgin kept my line open as I wanted to port my number to my new provider. however I cancelled my contact on 29th December and only contacted my new provider on the 8th Jan. should I be charged after I have already cancelled my contract.

Refer to VM info below (if you have not done so already)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/automatic-compensation

This sounds like your compensation awarded has been mangled by a CS representative who does not understand the compensation scheme processes (a common topic for complaint on here)

1 - You get compensation for a 'total loss of service' of either phone or broadband. (If you are being told it has to be both services together that is wrong). If you have the two services out together it is still the same day rate as one service out at £8.40. VM has two clear working days to fix the fault before any compensation is applied.

2 - While you have a fault you continue to pay your VM bills as normal. Once your fault is fixed, VM has 30 days from the fault being fixed to credit your account with the correct compensation. The day rate of compensation should exceed the day rate of your package charge so at the end you should be 'compensated'.

3 - You have to give VM 30 days notice to cancel your services. During that 30 days VM bills you as per normal right up until your day of disconnection. If you have a pending disconnection request on your phone number with VM, that will stop your number being ported.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nazcom wrote:

It starts 2 days after service loss if it’s a known issue, 2 days after you report the fault if it’s not, as obviously until VM are aware of the issue they have not been given the chance to fix it.

That is something you will have to take up with billing, although it’s likely you have got more money back doing it the way they have.

If you are porting a landline number in or out of a provider using a separate network to BT you should not cancel your landline services. You contact your new provider & it is their job to arrange cancellation. Cancelling yourself could result in loss of your number. You should only cancel Broadband & TV, as these don’t affect the landline port.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Morning nazcom

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am firstly sorry for any service downtime and also any confusion over the billing you have. Thank you to nodrogd for helping here as well 🙂

You'd get compensation for full loss of phone or broadband service, if it is not resolved within 48 hours of you reporting it to us. However, the report to us must be done and the Automatic Compensation policy here - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation - outlines the ways this can be done. 

In relation to the billing, you'd only receive compensation, not a bill credit and then compensation. 

Number ports - when cancelling your account, you'd need to give thirty days notice. With advance billing, you may find your penultimate bill is for a period of time you've not had the services, however, this is normally rectified on the final bill as a credit is automatically applied.

I will send you a PM though so I can assist you with the specifics.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@nazcom wrote:

Refer to VM info below (if you have not done so already)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/automatic-compensation

This sounds like your compensation awarded has been mangled by a CS representative who does not understand the compensation scheme processes (a common topic for complaint on here)

1 - You get compensation for a 'total loss of service' of either phone or broadband. (If you are being told it has to be both services together that is wrong). If you have the two services out together it is still the same day rate as one service out at £8.40. VM has two clear working days to fix the fault before any compensation is applied.

2 - While you have a fault you continue to pay your VM bills as normal. Once your fault is fixed, VM has 30 days from the fault being fixed to credit your account with the correct compensation. The day rate of compensation should exceed the day rate of your package charge so at the end you should be 'compensated'.

3 - You have to give VM 30 days notice to cancel your services. During that 30 days VM bills you as per normal right up until your day of disconnection. If you have a pending disconnection request on your phone number with VM, that will stop your number being ported.