cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

analogue switch off 2025

mrg9999
On our wavelength

I've had emails about my business service that in 2025 Analogue PSTN will be migrated to Digital.

Does this apply to home phones with virgin as well and if so what do I need to do and when?

6 REPLIES 6

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums, mrg9999,

As @goslow has replied, this will apply to all traditional line telephone connections. You can contact us by phone at 0345 454 1111 if you are interested in switching to our 21CV / DOCSIS service.

Cheers,

Corey C

Bernard_G
On our wavelength

There are numerous landline phones in my home, and there is a REN-expander to allow the number of phones to exceed 4.  Some of the phones are vintage, and only have pulse-dialling capability.  Will the new service support pulse-dialling phones, and/or REN-expanders?

As an aside, I turn off my Hub when not in use (and always overnight) to conserve energy.  I think the Hub takes about 10W when quiescent (equivalent to 87kWh for a year if not switched off).  What a waste of energy this will be when we have to leave our Hubs powered.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The phone connection from the back of the hub only supports tone dialling. Some vintage phones can be converted from pulse to tone dialling by means of DIY kits or via companies offering this service. Past topics on the forum have mentioned customers getting a converted vintage phone to work with the hub 21CV phone connection. Current models of ring extender seem to be very few and far between. The BT model which used to be common has been discontinued. The manual for the BT extender describes it operating with pulse or tone phones. You would probably have to try your existing extender unit and see how/if it performed when the time comes. A past topic on the forum mentioned that the 21CV connection from the hub itself might be expected to run two directly-connected devices.

Hi all,

You can also find some additional information regarding the transition here which I hope is helpful.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Bernard_G wrote:

As an aside, I turn off my Hub when not in use (and always overnight) to conserve energy.  I think the Hub takes about 10W when quiescent (equivalent to 87kWh for a year if not switched off).  What a waste of energy this will be when we have to leave our Hubs powered.

What you have to weigh this up against is the huge costs (& energy) currently used by the analogue switching infrastructure that will be turned off in 2025. Hubs are designed to be on 24/7, & even phone only users will be give a modified hub to use phone services after the switchover date. The only alternative is to choose VoLTE over VoIP (the only 2 choices you will have after 2025, as GSM & UMTS mobile services are also closing) & dump the landline altogether.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks