Menu
Highlighted
carged
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Why does Phone not work when the internet is down

Just been told by the person who connected our system up that if we lose internet connection then the phone line will not work either. Surely this cant be the case ?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why does Phone not work when the internet is down

This must mean that your phone is connected to your Hub3 and not the more traditional phone socket. This what VM's help file says about this situation.

Your home phone line through our Hub 3.0
If we supply your telephone services using your broadband connection you will not be able to make or receive calls if there is a power outage or if your broadband connection or our broadband network fails. If you have any alarms or monitors that are connected to your phone line, these also won’t work in these instances.

If you have accessibility requirements or have no access to a mobile phone you may rely on your Virgin Media telephone to make calls to the Emergency Services. We have measures in place to help you make contact with the Emergency Services in that situation.

Our Emergency Backup Line will help you to make calls to the Emergency Services when you have a power outage or if your broadband connection, or our broadband network, goes down.

For details on how to request our Emergency Backup Line please call our team 150 from your Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111* from any other phone and select option 1.

*For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary.

You may need to keep a mobile phone handy.

If your phone service is provided in the traditional manner you are OK. The internet is not involved and the phone will work during power outages.

BT are going down the VOIP route as well. The landline's days looked numbered really.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello carged

Thanks for your post 

This would be right if by any chance we have an outage in the area the phone line  

Can go down 

Rest assured any faults are very rare. 

What @HowardML advised about a back up line 

This is for our Customers that are dependant on a Landline 

Which we include a sim card to use to call emergency services 

If you do need anything else or have any issues then by all means jump back on here 

Regards 

Gareth_L

nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML wrote:
This must mean that your phone is connected to your Hub3 and not the more traditional phone socket. This what VM's help file says about this situation.

Your home phone line through our Hub 3.0
If we supply your telephone services using your broadband connection you will not be able to make or receive calls if there is a power outage or if your broadband connection or our broadband network fails. If you have any alarms or monitors that are connected to your phone line, these also won’t work in these instances.

If you have accessibility requirements or have no access to a mobile phone you may rely on your Virgin Media telephone to make calls to the Emergency Services. We have measures in place to help you make contact with the Emergency Services in that situation.

Our Emergency Backup Line will help you to make calls to the Emergency Services when you have a power outage or if your broadband connection, or our broadband network, goes down.

For details on how to request our Emergency Backup Line please call our team 150 from your Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111* from any other phone and select option 1.

*For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary.

You may need to keep a mobile phone handy.

If your phone service is provided in the traditional manner you are OK. The internet is not involved and the phone will work during power outages.

BT are going down the VOIP route as well. The landline's days looked numbered really.

The BT IP voice system will be different to what Virgin Media offers as it will still work without having a broadband connection. Isle of Man(Manx Telecom) changed to IP voice ages ago, I’m pretty sure Jersey Telecom have done the change there too. Even public payphones will be transferred to the IP voice system. BT aim to roll this out by 2025 but I’m sure this will be extended as I believe no areas have been done to date.

0 Kudos