cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I get virgin media both neighbours have it?

Thora
Joining in

Both neighbours have virgin media installed. But I've been told that I can't receive any services. I've contacted virgin 4 times, they were supposed to call me back. But never do. Every house on the road is listed when you check to see if you can get the service except mine. 

445 REPLIES 445

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Simon456 wrote:

@goslow

Thanks for the info - as I suspected unfortunately. Just seems a real shame. We want to sign up for the full monty, fastest speed, tv, phone the lot.

They can't do anything with the existing cable either, which sticks up out of the front garden.

We live in a built up area on the edge of London, with wife and I trying at times to work from home, with a poor and unreliable connection. Frustrating.

Whilst VM might (theoretically) be able to hook something up for you by joining onto the broken cable (and assuming the only break is on your property), I imagine they would not want to commission a new service (esp. at the highest tier of speed) onto a damaged cable. Presumably that would just open up the possibility of ongoing problems for VM from day 1 of your new service.

If you are on the edge of London, have you had a look at where Openreach have got to with their FTTP rollout?

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

also see whatever altnet providers might be available to you (a few names to check here)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/06/altnet-full-fibre-isps-target-29-9-million-uk-premises...

and a very long list here

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/04/summary-of-full-fibre-build-progress-across-uk-broadba...

Openreach FTTP is available and ongoing in my area (mainly via telephone poles) and, once Openreach got going, the work progressed at a super-fast rate.

Hi JoRod, thanks for getting back to me privately and allowing me to investigate on your behalf.

This is just a quick note, to ask if your happy with the response and effort from the community team?  Remember, if you ever need help in the future our fantastic community members and forum staff are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R

@goslow

Thanks for all that info.

The Openreach map shows my small town with nothing planned, surrounded by various stages all around (completed, due this year etc). Very frustrating.

In a densely populated area on the Surrey/London border, and stuck with crappy unreliable service through the old phone line. I'm sure many others have these type of issues also. Work from home (which I never wanted anyway) is a daily battle of connection issues. Don't get me started on movie watching ! haha

Kayz
Joining in

Hi there I messaged just over 2 weeks ago and sadly haven't received any response about my situation, only that the team has been contacted and when I call Virgin they never get back to me.

My original post:

I am moving into a flat in June and I was hoping to get Virgin Broadband since the the surrounding flats have Virgin media broadband, but on the website the flat I am moving into says Virgin Broadband is not available.

Yet for the flats around me have it, those above and to the left and right of my flat. And I believe the cabinet is just 50 meters away.

Is there a way to check? 

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Kayz,

I can see you've just spoken to another agent about this on a private message - the information they have advised would be the same.

Cheers,

Ryan. 

eddy_m_87
Joining in

Hi there,

I have been having issues with openreach trying to connect my new home to broadband. We have been without now for a month and a half.

When they arrived at our property they looked at the box at the end of our drive and said according to the plans we were supposed to be the first house connected into this box and there is space for us in it but for some reason we are connected to the box at the top of our street and we are the last house on that run.

When they have attempted to connect us up the street they have not been able to get the cable through the pipes to our house to connect our internet. The engineer believed there was a small bit of concrete that had fallen at the end of our garden causing this. They could hear the cable tapping the other side. He attempted to fix this with a hammer and chisel but couldn't get through. A month and a half later open reach still haven't fixed the issue and we are still without internet.

I have looked at getting virgin and it is available to houses on my street but not currently to mine and I have requested a virgin engineer to check like the website suggests but I still haven't heard back.

Hello eddy_m_87, 

Thanks for your post, 

I am happy to see if we can look at getting you connected.

I will need to send you a private message to obtain details.

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Edward_d145
Joining in

Hi!

I am looking to move to a property in an apartment building. When I'm looking at available broadband, the max speed offered is ~11mbps through Openreach. I am used to Virgin Media M500, so I'm concerned about this massive step down in speed. I've always used VM and would be very keen to stay with them.

When I put the postcode into the postcode checker, it says that VM is not available. When I've had a look at the properties around it, the house immediately next door is eligible for VM.  I was wondering what the scope would be to have a line installed to the property should I move in?

Thanks!

Hi @Edward_d145 

Thank you for your post.

We would like to take a closer look in to this for you. One of our forum team will be along shortly to send you a PM.

Thanks

Melissa

Hello 

I’m having the same issue, neighbours have virgin wired or can definitely be connected, yet for some reason I can’t. I also have a manhole for low voltage cables across my drive, everytime I enter my postcode into the checker it says no can do. 

can someone please help with this? I’m sure there has to be a way to get connected!

thanks