cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When hub drops out will my VOIP service work

dubs1948
Joining in

Hi,

When online I am frequently getting drop-outs and, yes, I have tried all the usual switch-off, re-boot etc. etc. but the drop-outs are still happening. Whether a  new router would sort this out, who knows. I would like to know if these drop-outs would cause a problem with my VOIP telephone services and would be most grateful for a reply from someone in the know.

Many thanks,

Wayne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @dubs1948, thanks for your post although I'm sorry you're getting broadband dropouts.

If you are referring to the home phone switchover, where your landline becomes active through the Hub (otherwise known as 21CV) then it depends entirely on what is actually dropping out.

If it's just the wifi that's disconnecting, then this won't necessarily impact your landline services as that's connected via a cable to the Hub directly.

However, it's concerning you're getting dropouts anyway so having ran checks on your line, it appears that you have some issues with the power levels going to your Hub directly which may be causing this.

With this in mind, I'd like to arrange a technician to come out to you to get this resolved so you're not experiencing these problems anymore.

Please expect a PM shortly where I'll ask you some security questions, just so I can get this booked in for you - please respond directly.

Many thanks

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @dubs1948, thanks for your post although I'm sorry you're getting broadband dropouts.

If you are referring to the home phone switchover, where your landline becomes active through the Hub (otherwise known as 21CV) then it depends entirely on what is actually dropping out.

If it's just the wifi that's disconnecting, then this won't necessarily impact your landline services as that's connected via a cable to the Hub directly.

However, it's concerning you're getting dropouts anyway so having ran checks on your line, it appears that you have some issues with the power levels going to your Hub directly which may be causing this.

With this in mind, I'd like to arrange a technician to come out to you to get this resolved so you're not experiencing these problems anymore.

Please expect a PM shortly where I'll ask you some security questions, just so I can get this booked in for you - please respond directly.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Good evening Tom,

Many thanks for your helpful reply and your offer for a technician to try and sort out my regular drop-outs..

All the best,

Wayne

Or to answer your question, no, if the hub drops its broadband connection, then 21CV customers won't be able to report the fault other than by mobile phone, pigeon, or letter.   The same principle applies to Openreach customers as their phones get switched to VOIP.

This, in Ofcom's view is "progress".

Hi @dubs1948, you're very welcome and no problem at all.

Just to let you know I have already sent you the PM and I'm awaiting a further response from you but not to worry!

If you're unsure where your PM's are and to reply, you can get to them by selecting the purple envelope towards the top right of your screen.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @dubs1948, thanks a lot for responding to my PM with the details I've requested.

I'll bring this back to the public thread now, and I'm just confirming I've been able to book the technician in for you - I've booked the earliest possible date and time and although I can't confirm this on here, you'll get a text message confirmation within 24 hours and it's also available to view through your My Virgin Media app - you can reschedule it here if necessary too.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further support!

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom,

I am not really a smartphone user. Can I access the technician booking on computer by logging in to My Virgin Media Account?

Thanks,

Wayne

Hi @dubs1948, thanks for your message.

That's no problem and yes of course you can, the same applies!

Simply log in to your My Virgin Media account here and you'll be able to manage the appointment in exactly the same way.

Many thanks

Tom_W