Menu
Highlighted
shineshine
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What landline handset?

Hi - We recently had Virgin Media installed. Broadband is fantastic, but the installer never mentioned home phone, and we have had absolutely zero information from Virgin.

I assumed our landline would simply transfer over from BT but I see we need to plug a compatible handset into the top of our modem. Despite texts, live chat and a call, no-one from Virgin could give me a straight answer on what handset we need to buy. Could someone please tell me what I should buy that works with their VOIP modems?? Would really appreciate a link to an example of a compatible handset - or is their a converter that would work with our current BT phone ( this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Essential-Cordless-Nuisance-Answering-Black/dp/B0787G4BJQ?ref_=fsclp_pl_... )

The support keep telling me to get a DOCSIS compatible phone, which is fun and pointless to google... insane that as new customers we have no help or information on this basic (unadvertised) requirement.

many thanks for any tips

John

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: What landline handset?

Hello

The engineer should have left you an adapter to convert to a normal phone.

Do you ask the sales team to port your number over ?

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
shineshine
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

The engineer didn't mention landlines in any capacity, or leave any information, adaptors or cables.

I assumed our old BT number would carry over, but similarly we have absolutely no information on this from Virgin themselves 😞

John

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If you didn't ask for porting of your number then you would have been given a new number.

You can either call in on 150 or wait for a VM forum staff member to pick up the post.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
shineshine
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sadly we can't call 150 as we don't have a working phone!

Can you tell me what converter/adaptor I should buy? Again, willing to buy a new handset if I knew the specifications.

Once we have a connected working phone I will follow up on porting the number, thanks for the tip...

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@shineshine wrote:

Once we have a connected working phone I will follow up on porting the number, thanks for the tip...

If you have contacted BT & cancelled your account (or even given notice to cancel) you will no longer be able to port your number to Virgin.

The correct process is to ask Virgin to port your number at the time of ordering their services. They then contact BT on your behalf & arrange the number port AND the cancellation of your BT line.

PS. You need an RJ11 plug to BT socket adaptor

Example

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
shineshine
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much - no-one mentioned porting our number and the BT contract is cancelled, another black mark for Customer Experience!

I really appreciate your reply, it's more insightful than a full day of struggle with Virgin support! Ordering that adaptor now...

all the best

John

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@shineshine wrote:

Thanks so much - no-one mentioned porting our number and the BT contract is cancelled, another black mark for Customer Experience!

I really appreciate your reply, it's more insightful than a full day of struggle with Virgin support! Ordering that adaptor now...

all the best

John

No disrespect intended, but it is up to us the consumer to check the correct procedures. I myself ported one of my numbers, & my first action was to check the OFCOM advice on how to proceed. It also makes a difference that Virgin is a seperate network. There are many customers running services on both BT & Virgin at the same time. Something you cannot do with any other fixed line provider.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
shineshine
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I admire your thoroughness! I don't really mind about our number, however I will politely disagree, for the benefit of any Virgin staff who read this.

The onus here is clearly with the service provider, and basic good practice is to explain the process to the consumer, in any industry. This is a basic courtesy, and a criterion on which consumer's will differentiate who they spend their money with. 

The service provider (be they a plumber, electrician or a telecoms company) should not keep the consumer in the dark, and expect them to go and look up OFCOM or other technical regulations in order to understand what will happen if they choose their company. In terms of the physical installation I was told someone would come and drill and hole through my wall for example - it is absolutely not up to the consumer to have somehow checked and divined what would happen.

Again, for the benefit of Virgin Media, having absolute no communication whatsoever about our phone line, technical requirements for the phone, number porting or anything else, is a shocking first experience of your company. It's possible the installer thought we were broadband only, but a full day being passed round your support teams in circles was beyond my patience.

Thank goodness for forums...

0 Kudos