cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was this VM?

VIPerson
Up to speed

Hi I have had 2 calls today from  [Removed] They rang off the first time I picked up this morning  but this afternoon a lady said they were from VM - I am deaf and could not hear her properly as there was so much background noise (call centre?) when I said pardon she rang of

Was this VM or a scam call?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

4 REPLIES 4

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @VIPerson,

Welcome to the community, thanks for posting.

Thank you for asking! I can confirm it is not one of our numbers, it is a scam number.

Please do block them, also follow the tips from our 'Fraud calls' help page. 

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thank you for your reassuring reply  I had another call today from a different number I just said I could'nt understand a word he was saying sorry and put the phone down. I don't have a phone blocker do VM charge for this to happen? I already have to pay for caller display  which other telephone companies provide as part of their service!

We would recommend looking into TPS as a way to prevent calls of this nature, ther would be th option to add anonymous call barring to the number which will also help and is free.

Rob

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@VIPerson wrote:

Thank you for your reassuring reply  I had another call today from a different number I just said I could'nt understand a word he was saying sorry and put the phone down. I don't have a phone blocker do VM charge for this to happen? I already have to pay for caller display  which other telephone companies provide as part of their service!

You shouldn't have to pay for caller ID it should be free as part of your landline (although it was chargeable in the past).

Unfortunately, TPS will do nothing whatsoever to deter or prevent scam calls. Its sole function is to stop live unsolicited sales or marketing calls from legitimate companies. It is nothing more than a 'do not call list'. Scammers are criminals so they will pay no attention to TPS whatsoever.

Anonymous caller rejection is also of minimal use when the scammers present a fake caller ID. It will also prevent legitimate calls coming through from organisations which withhold their number such as doctors' surgeries and hospitals so IMO it is actually not a useful feature and may actually be a hinderance.

VM have no other services to offer to help prevent scam calls. Customers need to buy third party equipment to screen the calls.

Refer to this post

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Unwanted-Calls-Call-Barring/m-p/4847567#M158177

for information about trueCall technology which I have found works well to stop the scam calls ringing my phone.