cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to go x directory stop spam

Elliebs
Tuning in

I've just got virgin media phone landline number and wish to go x directory to prevent nuisance calls and spam. I'm under cancer treatment and get too tired to be woken

3 REPLIES 3

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Elliebs, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to see you are being woken by these calls when you are resting, I will certainly be happy to help you with going to Ex directory.

I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so I can do this.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can go ex directory, but it won’t stop scammers trying to call you.

They use auto-diallers that bulk dial entire blocks of numbers at once, & have no interest whether you are in the directory or not.

I would certainly suggest you register your number with TPS if you have not done so. It will stop most marketing calls from companies that have signed up to the scheme. It won’t stop scam calls however, as they originate outside the UK.

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Elliebs wrote:

I've just got virgin media phone landline number and wish to go x directory to prevent nuisance calls and spam. I'm under cancer treatment and get too tired to be woken

On a VM landline, the only way you can stop spammers and scammers from disturbing you is with a device at your end of the line which screens out their calls and prevents them from ringing your phone.

This device does call screening. It is fairly expensive but very effective.

https://www.truecall.co.uk/

Some BT phones have a 'lite' version of trueCall built in at a lower cost (but if you use a VM Hub 5, there is an ongoing issue at present with BT phones showing phantom 'missed call' messages so you may wish to consider that before buying one)

Some ordinary cordless phones do have a 'do not disturb' feature built in by default. This can be enabled (manually or on a timer) to keep the phone silent (e.g. during sleeping hours). It can also be set so that known callers within the phone contact list are allowed to break through the 'do not disturb' time if required.