cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP phones on Virgin through Hub 4...

adelphiaUK
Up to speed

I have just switched to Virgin on the Ultimate Volt bundle and have everything working EXCEPT my VoIP phones.

I have been searching for a simple answer to the question, "can you use true VoIP phones on the Virgin Media VoIP (CV21) service?" I have 2 £100+ phones which I purchased about 2 years ago when I was working in IT Consultancy,  which have all the facilities I need for a phone; shared phone book, Caller ID configuration, handset identification etc. etc.

When I took out the services with VM I was told that I would be able to use these phones on the VM VoIP service but to date, no one can give me the relevant information I need to be able to connect. 

Was I told a lie? Is the VM VoIP service, which I have since found out operates CV21 rather than a true VoIP service even capable of handling VoIP phones?

I have spent over an hour talking to 3 different people at VM from 3 different departments, I was transferred to Gadget Fix for a 2nd time but inexplicably the phone call got disconnected.

Could anyone here tell me, am I banging my head against a brick wall or can my phones actually be configured to the VM VoIP service?

I don't really want to have to buy a new set of phones...

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)
Ultimate Volt: ACTIVE
TV: Maxit TV
Broadband: Volt V650 Fibre Broadband
Phone: Talk More Anytime
Mobile: O2 Unlimited
52 REPLIES 52

Hi adelphiaUK,

Thank you, so I can look further into this I will invite you into a private chat, I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

adelphiaUK
Up to speed

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

I have just got off the phone to someone who sounded like they were in outer Mongolia or some other sparse place with the number of delays and being left in limbo so long and they have advised this could be ANOTHER EIGHT DAYS!!!

This is simply not on. At least give me a phone number so I can use my phone! I know I get compensated but having to rely on my mibile with such a poor reception where I live can be life threatening; and that is not a joke!

I am a diabatic and also have a heart condition. Either of these conditions could trigger an event requiring me to dial 999 and, although emergency calls can be made from a mobile, you still have to have a signal to make it!

I shouldn't have to divulge search personal information in an open forum but given the position I have now been put in I have no choice!

Please, for God's sake, get me a temporary number and this time let me keep it until the port is complete! 

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

adelphiaUK
Up to speed

YOU ARE KIDING! I HAVE JUST SPENT ALMOST 30 MINUTES TO COMPOSE A MESSAGE, SWAPPED SCREENS CAME BACK AND THE WHOLE MESSAGE HAS GONE!

SO LETS TRY AGAIN!

I have changed the title of this topic as it's far more complex now than not being able to use my original phones on my Hub 4.

I am now continuing the topic of having my phone number ported.

On numerous occasions I have been told that my old phone number would be ported on XX/YY/ZZ (the latest, today, as shown in the image below) which hasn't happened yet again.

So I phoned 150 from the 2nd number I have been given by Virgin Media on the brand new set of phones I had to purchase due to not being able to use my old phones and, after clearing the security checks and waiting for the prompts for me to press 1 to get a link on how to fix my issue, I finally got through to someone in India who sounded like she was either in the middle of dinner or playing cards.

She was very polite and asked my name, confirmed I was the account holder and then asking me the name of the account holder (yes, for a second time; perhaps she ironically couldn't understand me) she said please hold so, guess what, I held whilst continuing to watch Inter Milan play Liverpool on BT Ultimate (oh my, spoiler, Liverpool just scored). 

Anyway, after a minute or so, she came back and told me the change is scheduled for tomorrow,  17th February, not 16th as shown in the SMS received.

20220216_211529.jpg

So, who wants to bet a week's wages that I'm back here tomorrow asking the same question?

NB: Quickly copies message in case it disappears again...

(oh my, spoiler, Liverpool just scored again)

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

Hi @adelphiaUK, thanks for your post although I'm really sorry that things are a little unclear for you at the moment.

I can see that you've sent a colleague a PM yesterday who you've been liaising with about everything, so please be assured that you'll be responded to directly in due course about this matter from them.

Many thanks

Tom_W

I was right, and not only that, my SIP service provider now tells me that the phone number port has been cancelled as it took too long for VM to complete the process.

The saga continues...

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to us. 

I can see that you are Still PMing with my colleague, they will respond in due cause. 

I am sorry for the continuation of these issues. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

Finally, after almost 3 months my phone number has been ported.

It's taken such a long time and now it's done I am just so disappointed as the difference in the quality of the line to that of my sip line is so vast.

It may be my new phones but as they were quite expensive top of the line BT phones I doubt it. I will try an old one I have laying around to see if the quality is any different.

I shall report back!

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @adelphieUK

Thanks for getting back to us with an update. I'm so glad to hear that your number has now been ported, thanks for letting us know and apologies for the time this has taken to resolve.

Sorry to hear you are disappointed with the quality of the line, please do keep us posted on how you get on trying a different handset.

Best wishes,

Serena

this topic is beyond a joke VM, last week I was told by their 2 phone support I needed to buy VOIP phones of Amazon I asked for them to expand on it and was told I’d have to ask the “installer” which type of CV21 I had.   

Sadly some one will die because of this incompetence and VM will be at fault and dragged through tho coroners courts! 

Hi @pogit1

I am sorry for any incorrect or conflicting information that has been received.

Most phones are compatible with the 21st century voice switch over.

This does not need to be a VoIP phone.

If you have an older model phone, a new one may be required, however this wouldn't need to be a VoIP one. 

If you have any further questions, please do pop back to us here and we would be happy to help. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide