cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin switching from cable to fibre. Will my police linked burglar alarm etc still work?

MeToo2
Joining in

Absolutely poor communication from Virgin. All they say is "some devices will stop working. Contact the manufacturer".   What does switch mean? Is it changing over from analogue to digital?  Saw BT customers having issues with burglar alarms etc so they delayed it. Is Virgin switching off analogue and deliberately not telling customers until its too late and alarms, safety devices etc just stop working?  Where can I find out exactly what switch means in words I can understand.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MeToo2,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

We recognise that some people will have some concerns about the home phone switchover but this is something that is happening with all providers and not just Virgin Media. 
In the unlikely event there’s a power cut or a broadband fault, you won’t be able to make or receive calls and most devices that are connected to your phone line will be affected until the power or network’s back. Due to this, for those without a mobile phone or who may be vulnerable we do provide a back up system. You can read more on this here

If you’re using any connected devices that use your phone line, then that is something you would need to check with the manufacturer, to make sure they’re compatible with our fibre network phone line. 

We’ve been working with alarm and telecare providers to make sure they know about our switch to a fibre phone line.

You can view everything you need to know about the switch over here

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MeToo2,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

We recognise that some people will have some concerns about the home phone switchover but this is something that is happening with all providers and not just Virgin Media. 
In the unlikely event there’s a power cut or a broadband fault, you won’t be able to make or receive calls and most devices that are connected to your phone line will be affected until the power or network’s back. Due to this, for those without a mobile phone or who may be vulnerable we do provide a back up system. You can read more on this here

If you’re using any connected devices that use your phone line, then that is something you would need to check with the manufacturer, to make sure they’re compatible with our fibre network phone line. 

We’ve been working with alarm and telecare providers to make sure they know about our switch to a fibre phone line.

You can view everything you need to know about the switch over here

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Thanks Ayisha for helpful answer and for pointers where to find information. All I had got was two short texts from Virgin saying switch would happen on xx/mm. That's all. I had tried Q+As and also search and hit a blank. Would have been useful to been given these pointers in a communication. Thanks for answering so promptly.

It's been my pleasure @MeToo2 and I do apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to give me a shout. 

Have a lovely evening!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team