Menu
Highlighted
rp999
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin phone line located in boiler room with no power socket - not functional

We just moved into a new house (tenant) and have taken Virgin with us.  The phone line did not work so an engineer came today.  He informed us that the Virgin phone line is located in with the house hot water boiler cabinet.  The rest of the phone lines in the  house are not connected to it so that is the only option for a phone (the others are for BT).  To make things worse there is no power socket in the boiler cabinet to power a phone.  So, firstly, I do not want our house phone located in the boiler cabinet and secondly it couldn't even work if we wanted it to. 

What are my options here?  

- Is it Virgin's responsibility to ensure there is a functional phone line in the property, given that is what they have sold me with the package (TV, Broadband and PHONE).

- If Virgin are not able to fix this problem by linking other lines up with the main socket, then what are my rights in terms of being able to exit the contract early (1 month in to a 12 month contract) when it is Virgin that is failing to deliver on the contract?

thank you

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin phone line located in boiler room with no power socket - not functional

Aks them to activate your sockets on your Hub so you can plug your phone into your hub

rp999
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin phone line located in boiler room with no power socket - not functional

Thanks for the advice jb66.  I didn't realise you could plug the phone line into the HUB.   Isn't it a bit strange the engineer didn't suggest I do that (he just left with a shrug of the shoulders as if there is nothing that can be done).  I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if it is possible, but seems like a perfectly sensible solution to me.

thanks again!

0 Kudos
rp999
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Still going through painful Virgin Media help process (having spent a lot on mobile phone bills ringing their Help line - I don’t have a Virgin Mobile so they charge me to call them to fix their incompetence).  

The complaints line phoned while I was out of the property and advised me to call the Technician when at home.  However the technicial help part of the phone service is fully automated and only allows you to book an engineer which I don’t need in order to simply plug a phone in (still no explanation as to why the last engineer didn’t get this sorted when he came to the property last time).  This was after spending 1.5 hours waiting for a Robot in-line help rep to direct me to a technician the night before - word of advice - never use VMED online help.

I will eventually get to speak to a human being, but before then I would like to buy a connector for to go from the hub to my phone (rather than waste more money on my mobile bill as I’m sure they won’t be able to turn anything on until I have the right cord).  

Can anyone confirm the type of connector i would need as the one I ordered plugs into one of the hub sockets but not the socket with the letters TEL above it?  Is it an RJ11?

5 weeks and still no phone line!!!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey rp999, 

Thank you for your post. 

I am really sorry to hear of the experience you've had here, I'm really unsure as to why this hasn't been resolved by our team as it is a simple fix. 

It seems to me that the new house is installed with VOIP (Voice over IP) or to us it is 21cv, meaning that your landline now would be running from your hub, not from the connectors on your wall. This is something that eventually everyone will have. 

Unfortunately we are unable to send adaptors from our system, I am sure there will be something put into place to rectify this. 

What I would need to do is arrange for an engineer to come to your property which will have the adaptor. I will make sure it is noted that this is why they are coming. 

I will send you a private message to get this sorted if that's okay? 

Cheers.  

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
rp999
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ryan. Yes please do, thanks. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi rp999,

Ryan has left the office for the weekend so I will now take this on for you

You'll see my PM in the top right hand corner of your screen,

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorted!

We'll see you on Wednesday 8-12

Have a great weekend!

David

0 Kudos