cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin landline text messaging

SueA260
Tuning in

Hi we are having a similar issue that another users has reported in the following post 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Text-messages-via-virgin-landline/m-p/4897616

following the advice of a virgin media customer support representative we researched and purchased our new SMS compatible handset from BT. We have contacted BT and they have told us that our land line provider needs to provide us with the correct numbers we have tried texting REGISTER to 00000 to no effect.

we wish to stay virgin media customers, however when we contacted BT we were assured that our new handset would work if we became BT landline customers.

Please could you help us resolve this issue, thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Footnote at the bottom of p29 in the VM phone guide

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

states "Virgin Media Text isn’t available in the Purple area." which I believe is a 21CV phone connection presented via the back of the VM hub (and also mentions other 'area' restrictions 01 to 18). You'd need the VM forum team to confirm if this is right. The manual is a somewhat confusing read in this section.

Does your VM landline come via the VM hub?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AueA260, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to forums 🙂
I am sorry you are having issues with texting from a landline. Have you rescvied a response form the number you texted above it can take a while for changes.

What handset do you have? 

Zoie

Hi Zoie

thank you for your reply.

We have not had a response from the text, we have made multiple attempts and each time it has failed. We have a message Sending Text then a failure screen eventually appears with the message "aborted".

Our handset is a BT 7110 plus. 

Thanks

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply, was this a new handset are you able to try a different handset? Have you been with us a while or are you a new customer? 

Zoie 

Hi Zoie

We have been with virgin media for years, we moved house a couple of years ago but stuck with virgin media. I am beginning to regret this now as we could have been connected to BT very easily after we moved.

This is a new phone that we were advised to buy after contacting you, by phone, as we were not able to use the old handset to get texts and we were told that the text to voice service was no longer available in our new home. We did receive text to voice messages in our old house.

We don't have another handset. I don't think the issue is with the handset. 

We have had some very strange issues with the landline at our new home, which have been resolved apart from this one.

Thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Footnote at the bottom of p29 in the VM phone guide

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

states "Virgin Media Text isn’t available in the Purple area." which I believe is a 21CV phone connection presented via the back of the VM hub (and also mentions other 'area' restrictions 01 to 18). You'd need the VM forum team to confirm if this is right. The manual is a somewhat confusing read in this section.

Does your VM landline come via the VM hub?

Thank you for that information SueA260.

I would like to check into this for you. I will private message you now to get your information. 

^Martin

Thank you Wise owl

Sadly the phone connection does come through the hub. The engineer would not connect it any other way, we do have a traditional box in the house though.

Thank you for the link I will take a look.

As you can see Martin has private messaged so we will see where we get to.

Thanks again 🙂

Hi All

I have been asked to answer security questions to get through data protection, they already have my account number and the name on the account. 

Are the following questions necessary?

Thank you for that information. I now need you to answer some security questions. 

Can you please confirm the email address registered on the account?

Can you please confirm your last bill value?

Can you please confirm your banking sort code?

Can you please confirm the contact number on the account?

Can any one tell me if this is too much information, It is way more than I am asked on the phone if I contact VM?

Hi SueA260,

As advised over private message, this information is to pass data protection. 

I will also add that the passing of data protection can be different with different departments as they have different methods due to the type of contact. 

^Martin