cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Voicemail on landline

CABISH22
Tuning in

Voicemail activation has stopped working in connection with my landline. It should activate after 10 rings or if my line is being used. It has worked fine until until recently. Not sure when this happened as only made aware of the issue when my daughter informed me that she wasn't able to leave a message. The phone just kept ringing out. However if I dial 1571 I get the normal response informing me that I have no new messages or saved messages. I have contacted virginmedia through the 150 option. The first time the operative ran diagnostics, no problem found, they then rang the landline to check if voicemailactivated after 10 rings. It didn't. I was then passed to a higher level of technical ability. He listened to my description of the fault, saw that diagnostics had passed. Decided that if he deleted the voicemail such that when I dialed 1571 it would be as if I was a new subscriber and that would fix the issue and ended the call. It didn't fix the issue. When I called 150 and dealt with another operative, first she stated that the problem had been fixed by the previous person. Then sshe asked if I had a built-in answer phone on my handset. I replied that it did but has never been enabled and that the handsets on my landline have been the same for the last 2 years and that voicemail worked until just recently. She would not move from this theory and ended the call. I have 2 types of handsets on my landline. One is normal phone with caller identication on it but no Answer phone and the others are a BT triple. I have tried the voicemail with the BT units removed, with just the satndard handset.  I have also tried it with the standard handset removed and the bt units on the line. Still the problem existed in both situations I have even tried disconnecting all handsets. I then called from my mobile and it just rang and rang without voicemail activating.

I am very loath to call 150 again as the last operative wasn't interested in trying to resolve the issue. Any ideas anyone

Regards

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for taking the time to come back to me via private message to let me know things are working for you now. 

I'm glad we were able to reach a resolution. If you have any further issues, please pop back here and let me know. 

In the meantime, take care.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @CABISH22.

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear that you have had an ongoing issue with your voicemail not activating and that our team have not been able to best assist you regarding this. We can understand the frustration this whole experince may have caused and want to best help.

I have been able to log into your account using your forums details. Just to confirm is your landline connected to the back of your hub? If so have you tried rebooting your hub as it is has been running for a long duration of time and a reboot may resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

Hi there, thanks for the prompt reply. No my phone is not connected to the hub. The Virgin cable runs under the lawn from the pavement to the front of the house to a Virgin box on the corner of the house, where the phone line splits to run along the front of the house and enters next to our front door to a point in the hall. The TV/Broadband runs down the side of the house and enters through the wall and splits to the router and Tivo box. Just out of interest I have rebooted the router and the issue is still the same.

Regards

Chris

Thanks for coming back to us, Chris.

I've noted you spoke to the team a few days ago and the result of that chat was you were going to check your own answering machine as you were told this could over-ride the Virgin Media voicemail.

Have you disabled/removed this to run these checks?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi, yes I have done. The answering machine included on the BT phone is and has always been disabled as I have always used Voicemail as it allows people to leave a message if I am using the phone at the time they call, which means the line is busy. Also yesterday I removed the BT phone from the landline as I also have another handset which doesn't have an answerphone included. The same issue remained. As I stated in my previous reply my set up has run perfectly with Voicemail for over two years with the BT phone and for some 6 or 7 years prior to that another brand of phone on the line. Nothing has been changed at my end for acouple of years. A question I have is what actually triggers Voicemail after 10 rings. Is it hardware or software? Is there a setting that has been changed at the Virgin end? Is there anyway that a dianostic can check things out about the Voicemail activation?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

We will need to run through some further diagnostics with you. In order to do that I will need to confirm some details with you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for taking the time to come back to me via private message to let me know things are working for you now. 

I'm glad we were able to reach a resolution. If you have any further issues, please pop back here and let me know. 

In the meantime, take care.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team