cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Hub VoIP adaptor delivery

graemesmith1960
Tuning in

A few months ago I received an email saying my phone line would be 'upgraded' to digital and was asked to order an adaptor (I assume its a VoIP adaptor).  I did this.  A few weeks later I received a letter asking me to order an adaptor.  I did it again!  Nothing has arrived and when I query my account it says I have no orders.  When the standard customer satisfaction survey appeared in my email (I'm assuming it related to the mysterious VoIP adapter order) I filled it in and said please contact me to discuss my problem.

Obviously I've heard nothing.  I detest 'OnLine Chat' and any time I try to sort out the missing order in My Account I just get sent round in circles.  I don't have time to phone in about this either.

Why should I have to initiate an order at all?  Virgin are changing my service so should automatically provide the equipment required without me having to ask for it.  Has any one else experienced this yet?

I know this is an extremely long shot but does anyone know of a working email address I can contact someone at Virgin on?

8 REPLIES 8

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Graeme,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you still haven't received the connector for 21 Century Voice via the internet ( VOIP)  I have had a look at your account and can see you are still currently on the old connection however you are part of the switch over, I have mailed the area field Manager and ask them to drop a cable in before the switch over is completed.

Kind regards

Paul.

Thanks Paul

Graeme

You are very welcome Graeme, please let us know if you don't receive this and I will chase it up.

Regards

Paul.

Hi there, nothing yet.

However - I rarely look at my Hub as I run it in modem mode stuck away in a cupboard but when I had to perform the usual monthly reset I noticed it already has 2 Tel sockets on it.  Can I assume then that this 'Adaptor' I need is just a BT to RJ11 or whatever?  I had assumed that it must be a VoIP adaptor similar to the old PAPT2 devices.  I've already got quite a few VoIP lines running in different locations and also on my mobile so I'm pretty happy with the technology.  If the Hub is already VoIP capable and only needs an RJ11 to BT cable then I've already got plenty of them.

Now, what I would really like is for Virgin to supply a dumb cable modem instead of a Hub (like my previous cable company which Virgin took over) and I could use my own VoIP capable Gigaset N300A IP.  I know, more chance of winning the lottery!

Hi graemesmith1960

Would it be better if I arranged for an engineer to pop round and fit one for you?

Let me know so I can get this booked in asap 

Gareth_L

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It only needs the RJ11 to BT adaptor. The changeover is a two stage process, but only the first stage (moving the line to the hub) requires intervention from you. 21CV replaces the twisted pair POTS line between the house & the local optical node, where the phone service is already converting to digital for the last leg to the exchange, where it then converts back to analogue. Once connected to the hub a separate RF channel will send your phone service back directly to the analogue headend exchange. Your calls at this stage therefore do not use the internet.

The second stage will happen in 2025, when the analogue headend exchanges are decommissioned (at the same time as the BT exchanges) with a handfull of regional internet servers using full VoIP.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No engineer required thanks.  I have everything I need.  In fact had Virgin been a bit more forthcoming with the information I could have avoided posting here in the first place. 

I eventually found the information I needed online and someone has also very kindly posted it here.  For anyone else that is interested the 21CV system is not classic SIP so you can't use your own VoIP equipment, you are stuck with the Hub.  Fine if all you need to do is plug a cordless base station into it but anything more like integrating it into an existing wired system will take a bit more effort.  

Thanks for the reply graemesmith1960

Should you need anything else at all

Were here 

Gareth_L