Menu
UJ_boy
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VOIP telephone setup

Hi Guys!

First time forum poster.  I'm new to Virgin & just going through a bit of an issue.

Virgin installed Fibre this week (moved from Plusnet, so originally on the BT lines). In the process, they were supposed to setup my home phone line as VOIP.

That seems to have happened and works when the phone is plugged into the back of the router (Hub 3.0); however, they've not connected any of the extenders. As a result, I only have 1 working telephone location which is next to the hub - no use to anybody.

Having burrowed through the online guidance of the forums, (I think) I understand that the Master socket is effectively the activated HUB 3.0 RJ11 port; so how do I go about connectinging the extenders to the hub? As on the wall master socket, they're wired in.

Any guidance you can provide is appreciated! And apologies if any terminology is wrong - I'm learning 🙂

Andy

0 Kudos
LiGhTfasT
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: VOIP telephone setup

Not that clued up on what connectors they supply with VOIP but the easiest way is to replace the extensions with a triple or quad pack of DECT phones.

Failing that and your up for a challenge you could probably crimp an RJ11 on some telephone cable (most likely the centre pins are needed) and connect it to the back of the old master socket (removing the open reach drop wire). That should bring the old sockets live again.
0 Kudos
philbo1
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I am yet to sign up for VM services (only found out today that fibre network has now been activated in my area) but I have posted a question earlier this afternoon on the same issue. (we have a lifeline emergency assistance unit plugged into an extension socket upstairs, so need to maintain this connection)

A bit of online research would suggest that it is possible to connect from the Hub3 "telephone port" to the existing house phone wiring? It will rather depend on whether your Hub is anywhere near one of your existing telephone sockets.

Other posts I have seen say to purchase a RJ11 (the type of socket for the phone connection on the back of the Hub3) to BT socket cable/adaptor. You then effectively connect from the Hub to the socket - but you then have to disconnect the old BT (or whoever provided your phone line before) landline connection.

Having asked the question on my post, I will wait and see what replies I get.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Philbo1

Thanks for your post and if you could just help me out a little bit in regards to your post.

What is the emergency lifeline that you have installed in your home currently?

Just to clarify, are you also seeking extra sockets to be installed in the property also?

David_Bn

0 Kudos