cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP DECT causing interference to soundbar

nigelad
On our wavelength

We had to connect our DECT phone to the virgin hub  for VOIP after the line socket suddenly died some months back. This locates it in close proximity to the hub, which is causing interference with the bluetooth subwoofer's connection to our soundbar.

It's difficult to move the phone as there are obstacles [e.g fireplace] to prevent long cable routing.
Are there any wireless solutions I could use to connect the DECT phone to the hub, enabling us
to put it on the other side of the room where it has always been?

Thanks for and advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@nigelad wrote:

We had to connect our DECT phone to the virgin hub  for VOIP after the line socket suddenly died some months back. This locates it in close proximity to the hub, which is causing interference with the bluetooth subwoofer's connection to our soundbar.

It's difficult to move the phone as there are obstacles [e.g fireplace] to prevent long cable routing.
Are there any wireless solutions I could use to connect the DECT phone to the hub, enabling us

Thanks for and advice.

BT offers such a thing on its 'Digital Voice' home phone setup with a wifi adapter to allow a standard phone to be plugged in at a remote location. There are some wide-ranging reports on how well it works though. Don't think VM offers anything similar.

If you still have the original telephone socket in your preferred location, then you need to make a link between the phone socket on the back of the VM hub and your existing (now defunct) telephone wall sockets.

As far as routing the phone cable to do that goes, it may be possible to follow the route of the coax cable to the hub (if that goes outside/minimises wiring routes) and possibly make a link to the pre-existing phone sockets in the omnibox outside. If you have another existing telephone wall socket nearby you could possibly link into that, if it is still linked to the others in the home. Obviously this all depends on how, exactly, your existing setup is arranged, existing cable routes etc.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@nigelad wrote:

Thanks for and advice.

BT offers such a thing on its 'Digital Voice' home phone setup with a wifi adapter to allow a standard phone to be plugged in at a remote location. There are some wide-ranging reports on how well it works though. Don't think VM offers anything similar.

If you still have the original telephone socket in your preferred location, then you need to make a link between the phone socket on the back of the VM hub and your existing (now defunct) telephone wall sockets.

As far as routing the phone cable to do that goes, it may be possible to follow the route of the coax cable to the hub (if that goes outside/minimises wiring routes) and possibly make a link to the pre-existing phone sockets in the omnibox outside. If you have another existing telephone wall socket nearby you could possibly link into that, if it is still linked to the others in the home. Obviously this all depends on how, exactly, your existing setup is arranged, existing cable routes etc.

nigelad
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply.
We still have the old socket in the preferred location.
For some weird reason our house doesn't have a landline wire to the nearest telegraph pole like all our neighbours.
So the old socket is wired  through the wall directly to the virgin box outside the front of the house. 
Do you think it's possible to get that re-activated or connected rather than trying to route an RJ45 cable round 3 sides of the room across a fireplace or folding doors? 
I think I found an old post suggesting somebody had this done.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@nigelad wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
We still have the old socket in the preferred location.
For some weird reason our house doesn't have a landline wire to the nearest telegraph pole like all our neighbours.
So the old socket is wired  through the wall directly to the virgin box outside the front of the house. 
Do you think it's possible to get that re-activated or connected rather than trying to route an RJ45 cable round 3 sides of the room across a fireplace or folding doors? 
I think I found an old post suggesting somebody had this done.

VM, historically, hasn't used telephone poles. They have used underground cabling and those cables (phone and TV/broadband) terminate in the plastic box (the omnibox) on the outside of your home.

Does the coax cable for the VM hub run outside straight to the omnibox via a direct route?

Do you have any other phone sockets nearby to the hub location (adjoining room, opposite side of the wall to the hub etc.)?