cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP Connection via Hub to existing telephone System ..Vulnerable Parents

Tonygmr
Joining in

Help, both my parents are 93 years old ..one partially deaf and the other partially blind, and they have a telephone and TV package...obviously no broadband.  The current copper wired system consists of qty 3 hard wired ..[ie not wireless phones]...large button phones similar to BT Decor 2600.for kitchen, hall and bedroom in addition to a sounder/flashing light in the lounge...as recommended by Virgin Media. T We are under the impression that this reliable system cannot be connected to the new VOIP hub. On visiting Currys and Argos to view a replacement system, eg  the BT 4000 large button wireless phones with master and 2 slaves is NOT large button, being a third of the size of the present corded phones buttons, and the LCD display characters are too small, hence not suitable. A large button static phone able to be wireless connected to 2 other large button static phones does not exist...ie no manufacturer makes this required replacement system.The sounder/flashing with wireless capability does not exist....either at Amazon or maplin...[ see Vigin Media recommendations in their policy..]

Hence please advise if the VOIP hub can be connected a] to the present 3 wired large button phones extension system with or without the Virgin Media recommended as of today, sounder/flashing light.

If not, please recommend a replacement system, any manufacturer..UK available please

Many thanks Tonygmr....a retired electronics bod.

14 REPLIES 14

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Voip can work with your existing setup  a technician can wire the voip line into your extensions. You should ask also for a EBUL which will allow calls to 999 in a power cut situation

jb66, Many thanks for your prompt reply, my enquiry ref my parents situation was based as below ..confusion reigns.

there is confusion amongst the oldies, which Virgin Media should clarify. A 80 year old neighbour of my parents was visited by a very nice VM engineer whilst I was delivering him some beer last week. In my presence he was told that the kitchen tone corded phone extension and the bedroom phone could not be connected to the VOIP hub, as the main copper wired main box was in the hall, and he was unable to run a cable from this main telephone point  a distance of a few yards into the cupboard for connection to the hub..the VOIP hub must be in the same small cupboard as the tv hub, [ on which the TV stands..again no broadband ] and  he would have to purchase a new 2  phone wireless system. and throw away his present 2 phones.

I was there and a bit bemused because as a retired electronics bod I thought there is something technically wrong but ??

regards Tonygmr

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Probably best to avoid using the VOIP terminology in regards to the 21CV service VM is offering at present. It uses VOIP technology but is not a true VOIP connection in the home in its present format. The present setup is designed to use a (modern) conventional landline phone plugged into the back of the VM hub.

VM have gone through every possible combination of responses on here about re-connecting existing phone extension sockets during the phone switchover, ranging from a flat 'no we don't do that' through a 'possibly/maybe' answer all the way to a 'free connection of existing extensions as part of the process'.

This page has recently been edited and re-formatted and

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

described a free technician visit to connect up existing phone extensions as part of of the switchover.

Note the section which states

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if:

You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
Your Hub and phone can’t be placed near each other.

so the offer still seems to be available but mentions to it being 'free' have been buried within some very small, small-print.

Suggest waiting for the VM forum team to reply here and advise on what today's VM policy is on this.

Your parents should be able to continue using their existing phone setup but it requires a tech to link the phone socket on the hub to the existing home extension sockets. From past topics on here, this either needs to be booked in well in advance so the tech knows to do it as part of the switchover or it gets booked in as a separate visit once the switchover has been completed.

The idea that vulnerable, older customers should possibly have to fork out for new equipment as part of this process does not sit well with me but that currently seems to be VM's direction of travel as they seem to make little effort to correctly advise on the options when the switchover is actually taking place.

Hi there @Tonygmr, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

With the change to the phone service this does mean that you will lost functionality of all 3 wired phones as only one can be wired and connected to the hub. If your parents did want multiple phones they would need to buy 2 wireless handsets I'm afraid. 

In regards to the emergency back up line this certainly is something that can be added in with no cost to your parents. As previously advised the engineer can arrange for this to be installed.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Nathan_B is this yet another change of VM policy on this matter? There have been dozens of past topics where VM has linked existing extension sockets to the hub as part of the phone switchover. As of Saturday it was still being offered to connect extension sockets as below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/We-have-now-had-our-landline-switched-to-internet-co...

The link at #4 above and the text in italics still show it as being offered (on a web page that has only changed in the last day or two)

As ever, VM manages to be very misleading and confusing for elderly customers and family trying to help them on this issue.

Hi @goslow, thanks for the reply. I have just checked this and there is an option to run a cable extension. This would however be a cable run in the property and not outside. I'm not sure if this would work for everyone but it is another thing that can be offered. Thanks for the correction.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Thanks for checking. Hopefully that option will work for the OP and their parents when they post back on here.

No worries, thank you again 🙂

Regards

Nathan

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To get the extensions working all the technician has to do is run a wire from the hub to the closest socket and that backfeeds all the other sockets