cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM techician declines to connect New hub to telephone system

Tonygmr
Joining in

Good evening Virgin Media, updated 28April2022

80 year old neighbours of my 93 year old parents.( please see posting" VOIP Connection via Hub to existing telephone System ...vulnerable parents") who are also not on broadband but have tv and telephone package was visited by a very nice VM technician whilst I was delivering beer last week. In my presence they were told that the kitchen tone phone and the bedroom phone could not be connected to the new VOIP hub, even though the VM wall box for both the telephone ..ie with telephone wire going to the kitchen and then the bedroom...and the tv..with the coax going upto the 'tivo' box...is only 18 vertical inches...450mm..from the tv "tivo box". This means that the technician would have to connect a cable 18inches long between the new telephone hub...which I presume is plugged into the tv box and the VM wall box. They were told to bin their new tone phones and buy a 2 phone wireless phone system at a cost to them of £50. They are not on the internet hence have asked me to enquire to VM why their present 2 phone tone extension system has to be binned.??

They are in contact with their Member of Parliament, as they are concerned about the cost to them of buying a new telephone system, the cost of running it, and the changeover advice from VM , which may entail up to 3 to 4 million telephones being binned. That is their summation as they read that 1.5 million households maybe affected by this switchover. Ps they do not have a mobile....I can post photos if requested.

Regards tony

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Same answer to your neighbours' problem as to your own original post on the same issue.

They will have been provided with a VM hub which will offer the 21CV phone connection only (no broadband). Assuming that the new hub and an existing telephone socket are right next to each other then it should be possible to link the phone connections.

(Same potential technical issues might apply if they are using old phones from early 2000's or before, as detailed on your other post)

You'll have to see if the VM forum team can arrange something, via yourself, to assist your neighbours in getting the work done.

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Tonygmr

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry to hear about whats happened. 

I can see my colleague and the community responded yesterday to your post.

Have you been able to view their responses?

If there is anything that you would like to be explained further I would be happy to help.

Please pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Goslow...thankyou for your reply...

Your message is 100% correct. I am at a loss to why the VM engineer declined and advised them to purchase new. 

Regards

Tonyg

Evening Vikki of the forum team,

Yes their is something you can do...tell your VM technicians to cease advising customers to purchase new wireless phone systems and start connecting legacy telephone extensions to the ch21 hub...if posters like goslow etc suggest that it can be done why are not VM technicians actually doing it ?? 18 inches of cable...job done...

I will visit the 80 year old neighbours next week and take some photos....

I completely understand the situation now, in both households......it is quicker for the technician to connect new equipment rather than connect legacy telephone systems.

Regards

Tonyg

Regards

Hi @Tonygmr

Apologies, I can see another colleague has sent you a private message to look into this further for you.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and you can respond to her directly and securely there.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

goslow
Alessandro Volta

<Deleted>