cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Fibre Phone Line - Do corded handsets work?

Ricky_Pete
Tuning in

We've had VM Fibre Phone for a few months now and it worked fine with our really old BT Cordless phones. For incoming calls the phones rang and we could make outgoing calls.

The batteries were rubbish so I've now installed a simple BT Converse 2200 corded phone instead. I can still make a call fine, but for incoming calls only the light on the phone flashes and it doesn't make a noise... yes, i've checked that the ringer is switched on.

The phone also has a loudspeaker function. When I press the button, the green light is faint and no dial tone is heard.

Is this my phone or is it the line? Could it be that the fiber line can't provide enough voltage to make the phone ring or power the loudspeaker?

Many thanks in advance for the advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there,

So it turns out that the handset was completely faulty. What was weird was that it rang when I connected it to a line in the office, but the speakerphone function still didn't.

Subsequently, we found an old handset in the attic with bell ringer and that worked fine.

Thanks for helping out.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Ricky_Pete,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your landline.

To be able to full know whether this is a line or a handset issue we would ask that you try the new handset on someone else landline. 

Do you have any family or a neighbor who would be able to allow you to try this?

^Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the welcome. Sure, i'm in the office later in the week, i'll test it there.

You're welcome. 

Thank you for that. Please do let us know when you have tested this. 

^Martin

Hi there,

So it turns out that the handset was completely faulty. What was weird was that it rang when I connected it to a line in the office, but the speakerphone function still didn't.

Subsequently, we found an old handset in the attic with bell ringer and that worked fine.

Thanks for helping out.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Ricky_Pete,

Thanks for the update with this, really glad that you've also found a replacement handset so quickly.

Please feel free to drop back to the forums if you need any future assistance.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide