cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsuccessful number port

SarahRC
Tuning in

After many abortive attempts, we finally had our service moved from BT to Virgin Media late last year. 

We requested retention of the same landline number. The engineer said it would take 24 hours or so. It didn't happen.

In January I spent about a very long time on WhatsApp trying to get it sorted. I was told a number port form was submitted. That was a couple of weeks ago. It still hasn't happened.

Like others, I have reasons for wanting to retain a number I have had for several decades, it being the only number elderly relatives use to contact me etc.

Can anyone advise on how this can be resolved?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @SarahRC thanks for your post although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised regarding your number port.

When you were handling your disconnection with BT, can you confirm if you advised them of your request to port your landline to us or did you just process a standard disconnection please?

The reason we ask, is you must keep your landline connection open with your previous provider - if this isn't the case, the port won't be successful.

Please reply with how this went and we can advise further for you.

Many thanks

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @SarahRC thanks for your post although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised regarding your number port.

When you were handling your disconnection with BT, can you confirm if you advised them of your request to port your landline to us or did you just process a standard disconnection please?

The reason we ask, is you must keep your landline connection open with your previous provider - if this isn't the case, the port won't be successful.

Please reply with how this went and we can advise further for you.

Many thanks

Tom_W

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@SarahRC wrote:

After many abortive attempts, we finally had our service moved from BT to Virgin Media late last year. 

We requested retention of the same landline number. The engineer said it would take 24 hours or so. It didn't happen.

<snip>

Can anyone advise on how this can be resolved?

Refer to this (successful) recent number recovery topic for an outline of what worked there (which was largely a lot of determination from the OP)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Retention-of-landline-number-Complaint-address/td-p/...

This should be a routine procedure for VM but often 'lost number' topics on here go around and around in circles due to lack of knowledge and failure to refer the issue on to the 'right' person/department within VM to make things happen.

Thank you for getting back to me.

I did not inform BT, as there was no information from either BT or VM suggesting that this was necessary.

I did not cancel my BT service until several days after the VM service started. Sadly, I assumed the landline number port had been completed rather than actually testing it. 

I have dialed my old number, so I know it hasn't been reassigned to someone else.

Hi SarahRC 👋 thank you for coming back to us! 

So sorry to hear of these difficulties with the number port, and that you weren't informed the number needs to be active with your old and current providers in order to port. I can appreciate this is a real pain and would like to help!

I'm going to send you a PM so we can confirm a few account details, along with the number in question and offer some help with this. 

Thanks for your patience whilst we look into this and get it sorted. We can return to this public thread with another update when possible! All the best 🌞

Molly

Hi All 👋 just returning to update the public thread. 

Thanks to SarahRC for PMing with me 📨 and for their patience whilst we got this sorted. 
I am pleased to confirm the number port has now all been sorted and successfully completed. 

Please do get back in touch if there is anything outstanding or further you need our support with, and I will be happy to help. Wishing you all the best! 🌞

Molly

Hi Molly

I appreciate your help, but when I dial the number it is still not recognized.

Hi Sarah, thanks for getting back to me! 

Hopefully you have also seen my PM messages? 
If you can please pop to your Inbox 📩 and just have a look, I will pick this back up with you there as we will need to be swapping some personal details that are best not shared publicly. 
I will return to this public thread with another update again when possible! 
All the best. 🌞

Molly

stevieH1
On our wavelength

How many more of these posts do we have to see before Virgin sort their porting processes.

When booking Virgin you are just asked if you want your number porting, you then give your number and assume everything will be ok.

You are not told to keep your contract open with your existing supplier or advise them that somebody else will be taking on the number. I suppose you are just supposed to know these things?

In my case i kept the old account open, advised BT etc and still had to phone Virgin 4 times before they confirmed they had requested the port. It's supposed to happen tomorrow. I phoned BT who confirmed it is happening tomorrow (so nice to get through to an English call centre after being on hold for 10 seconds!) even though Virgin told me it was happening a week ago! Not to worry i have already paid BT the extra payment for the Virgin delays!

Hi StevieH1 👋 thank you for joining the thread. Sorry to hear you have also had issues with your landline port. 

There's some more information about landline porting on our website here 👉 How to keep my number | Switching information | Virgin Media Help at the bottom of the page. 

Hopefully everything goes smoothly tomorrow, but if not please do let us know so we can offer further support!

Have you raised a complaint with your feedback so we have a formal record of your experience, can investigate further, and discuss what you are looking for as a resolution? If not and you would like some help with this please do let us know and we can send you a PM to help.

Hope the number port all goes smoothly tomorrow! 🤞

Wising you all the best. 🌞

Molly