cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

True VOIP on Virgin Media

DiscoGaza
On our wavelength

There are a few threads on this but most are from 12-18 months ago so not sure how relevant they still are.

I have my Virgin Media service activated yesterday. I was previously with BT and used their Cloud Voice service i.e. VOIP. I have a Yealink system that has worked well for the last 3 years or so I've been on pure VOIP.

When the engineer was here he said I'd need to plug my phone line into the 'TEL' port on the back of the Hub4. As far as I can see, this effectively converts VOIP to traditional POTS telephones. I explained about my VOIP set-up but he hadn't come across this before.

I've searched online for articles but drawn and blank and can't figure out if VM offer a true VOIP solution.

The strange thing is, my VOIP phones are still working. I can make and receive calls with the base unit plugged in to a LAN port. However, I'm unsure if this is because my service is still live with BT (it has another week or so before disconnection) or if it is being provided by VM.

Does anyone have a clear view on VM VOIP offering?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I am afraid there is no pure VOIP options with Virginmedia the way the system works isn't full VOIP it is 21CV, as you have already stated the hub will change the VOIP side over to a standard internal POTS system, Virginmedia do not offer or support VOIP at this current time that may change.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I am afraid there is no pure VOIP options with Virginmedia the way the system works isn't full VOIP it is 21CV, as you have already stated the hub will change the VOIP side over to a standard internal POTS system, Virginmedia do not offer or support VOIP at this current time that may change.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

That is hugely disappointing. That seems like a 20th century solution to a 21st century network. I really don't want to have to purchase new cordless phones when I have perfectly adequate VOIP handsets. 

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

Regards Mike

It does seem a little pointless in having phones connect to the hub when the hub is basically using the same phone system behind the scenes as a normal phone

Hi @SpacePhoneix, 

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I can see DJ_Shadow has provided you with some info but if you would like to read more about the switchover, you can do here

Many thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@SpacePhoenix wrote:It does seem a little pointless in having phones connect to the hub when the hub is basically using the same phone system behind the scenes as a normal phone

AIUI, first phase of the programme is to move phone connections to the hub and away from traditional wall sockets. Later on, the existing phone exchange equipment will also be replaced. All changed over by 2025 is the proposed schedule.