cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring number from TalkTalk

Spangly21
Tuning in

Hi, like others here, I requested to keep my telephone number from TalkTalk when ordering. I contacted Virgin as soon as I discovered the number hadn't been transferred and was told the request hadn't been received and was told it would take a few days. It's now over 2 weeks. How long does it take? For some reason my hospital and doctors prefer to call me on my landline and as someone with a chronic illness, it's essential that the landline is available. Help! 

15 REPLIES 15

Thank you for this! Virgin can but try the "favour request". 

Still no update on whether my telephone can be port through. Conscious that it's been more than a month since I messaged. Saw another message to say telephone numbers are held in quarantine for 3 months...

Hi Spangly21,

Sorry that you have not received any updates with regards to this on going issue. Unfortumately, we are not able to retrieve your original landline number from Talk Talk.

I've spoken to our Telephony Porting Team who has checked the number and have advised that as it's an inactive line and cannot be ported in that current state following Industry Guidelines. To port, both Operators require certain technical details that are available when the number is active and we use this information and other details for security when porting across networks.
We advise that where a customer wants to port, they should always contact the new Provider and we will initiate the port request and cancel the telephone line on your behalf. Once the number has fully ported to us, you may contact the old provider to check and cancel any remaining services you may have with them. For more information, please see the Cease and Provide section following this Ofcom link - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice-for-businesses/switching/switching-landline
Please contact your current Operator to get the line active again and once the number is fully active (if you ring the number and it rings) then we can quickly submit the request to port the number.

Switching - landline

Information on the process of switching landlines and who to contact for help.

Once again, we apologise for any inconvenience caused due to this.

Kind regards Jodi. 

I'm not impressed that I have been given different information every time I've contacted Virgin. As for quoting me Ofcom, as a customer, I will only contact them to complain about the way that I have been treated. If you had bothered to read the chain of messages and private messages, you will see that Virgin were going to contact TalkTalk and that's how it had been left in December. So now a month later, you tell me I have to contact TalkTalk. I'm already stressed from my incurable advanced cancer diagnosis - I don't need this. 

Thanks for coming back to us Spangly21,

We cannot apologise enough for the miscommunication given regarding your number port. Due to this, and that were unable to retrieve your original Talk Talk number without an active line, we will get a complaint raised on your behalf.

Can we ask when you requested the number port from us that you advised Talk Talk to keep your line active?

If Talk Talk, disconnected your line before the number port went ahead, you would not have received your original number. 

We would not be able to contact Talk Talk on your behalf as its only the account holder, that can do this due to data protection law.

I will pop you over a private message to take your details, and read all the notes on your account, to see when we first requested your number port.

Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Spangly21, 

Thank you so much for messaging with us and I am glad you had an explanation of what happened.

Please if you need anything else or have any questions we are here to help 🙂 
Zoie