cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring number from TalkTalk

Spangly21
Tuning in

Hi, like others here, I requested to keep my telephone number from TalkTalk when ordering. I contacted Virgin as soon as I discovered the number hadn't been transferred and was told the request hadn't been received and was told it would take a few days. It's now over 2 weeks. How long does it take? For some reason my hospital and doctors prefer to call me on my landline and as someone with a chronic illness, it's essential that the landline is available. Help! 

15 REPLIES 15

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Spangly21

Thank you so much for your first post to our Community Forums and welcome to the team! 

I am so sorry that your number port has not yet gone ahead. Can I ask if the number is still active with your former provider?

Thank you. 

Hi, no it isn't active as I tried to ring it. Thanks. 

Thank you so much for confirming. 

For a number to be ported it needs to remain active with the old provider so we can bring it across. 

Are you able to contact your previous provider to ask if they can keep the number active? 

Thank you. 

Hi, the person I spoke to at Virgin said she would contact TalkTalk and make this request so I don't understand why I need to do this now. I had explained to do this before my number gets given to someone else. 

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @Spangly21

I'm sorry for the mixed messages regarding contacting TalkTalk. As you previously mentioned the number isn't active at the moment, the best thing to do wuld be to give TalkTalk a call to ask if they have kept the number active. We need the number to be active to be able to port it.

Kind regards,

Serena

I have received this message from TalkTalk. To sum, nothing can be done. So I've lost my number. I specifically requested my number. How can this have happened? I'm not happy about this. 

Thank you so much for the details @little_worldly, I have successfully gained access into your account. I do see here on my end that your services have been already disconnected of which there is nothing that can be done to retrieve your previous landline number. The procedure that was needed to be done in order for you to move with your landline number:

1. Ask the service provider that you are moving your services to request for a take over of services from us

2. After request has been received, then it processed to complete the take over of our line

3. Then after that has been done, you should then be receiving your number on the new provider once everything has been completed.

- Ian.

I've gone through my correspondence and there's nothing to indicate my new phone number. If I saw that, it would have rung alarm bells. I only discovered it when I rang my mobile from the landline and discovered the new number. I have had the same number for 20 years. I cannot believe this cockup. I'm going through lifelong chemotherapy. Do you think I need this extra stress? 

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I am so sorry for the extra stress issues this is causing for you @Spangly21. I would like to take a look further into this from our end and see what has happened regarding the number port. I will send you a private message to obtain the details required now. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right corner and get back to me when you can.

Best wishes,

Serena

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Spangly21 wrote:

I've gone through my correspondence and there's nothing to indicate my new phone number. If I saw that, it would have rung alarm bells. I only discovered it when I rang my mobile from the landline and discovered the new number. I have had the same number for 20 years. I cannot believe this cockup. I'm going through lifelong chemotherapy. Do you think I need this extra stress? 

Can't give you detailed help on the number porting process but at the start of the year in this topic

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/HELP-LAND-LINE-NUMBER-LOST/m-p/4570242#M146879

@Jbradders1960 reported recovering a number under similar-sounding circumstances. Can't say whether that is feasible in your case but, given your circumstances, one would hope VM would go the extra mile (perhaps outside normal procedures) to help you.