cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Talktalk Number

PaulVI
Tuning in

Hello.

I am transferring my home telephone number from Talktalk to Virgin Media when I move house.

I have talked to Talktalk who said I just have to request to you to transfer it - and you'll transfer it (and then they'll close my account and send me a final bill).

How long does it take to transfer a number? My package with Talktalk is broadband & telephone. I will need the broadband at my old address up until the day I leave.

Can I activate my Virgin Media (broadband & telephone) account when I move in.... and then at that point tell you to "port" the number over from Talktalk? (That way I'll have broadband with Talktalk until I leave the old address & will have broadband from Virgin Media as soon as I move into the new address).

Two queries:

1. Talktalk seemed to imply that there may be some "copper wire" issue which may prevent you from porting the number over from you. Is that correct? Or in general - will there be an issue porting over my number from Talktalk.

2. I will be moving out of my current BT dialling code area when I move. Will I still be able to take my old Talktalk telephone number with me when I move to another part of the country?

Many thanks in advance

Paul

11 REPLIES 11

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi PaulVI, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

A port usually takes around 14 days to fully transfer over after it has been given to the team. When you give the number to the team to port over - it wouldn't cancel down all your services with TalkTalk, I would advise to arrange the port with our team as soon as you can. So, don't worry about your services. Your account will still close down on the date you have arranged to do so with TalkTalk. 

1: I am not sure what they would be referring to with that - nothing of the kind would stop a port. I am not 100% saying nothing can go wrong with ports, as I would be lying - but not on the basis of cabling/wiring. 

2: Yes, that is what a port it - it's taking the landline number to your new supplier 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Thanks Ryan - that's cleared up a couple of things - thank you.

One of the things I have a query with is can I activate my Virgin Media (broadband & telephone) account when I move in.... and then at that point tell you to "port" the number over from Talktalk? (That way I'll have broadband with Talktalk until I leave the old address & will have broadband from Virgin Media as soon as I move into the new address).

Thanks again.

Paul

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Yeah, of course - it honestly wouldn't affect anything at all. You're able to provide us with the port request at any time as long as the line and account is active with TalkTalk 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Thanks again Ryan 👍

And just to be 100% sure - I'll be moving from a geographical/dialling code area of 01375 - and I'll be moving 100's of miles away to what will be a geographical/dialling code area of 01642.

When the number is ported over will it remain 01375 1233457 (not the actual number) but will the current dialling code of 01375 remain with the rest of the number?

Thanks again for all your help 👍

Paul

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I really apologise - I completely missed that part. With that, I have reached out to one of our guys over here who is an expert with ports and they have let me know that it wouldn't be able to be taken from the area it has originated from, sorry about that. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Okay - thanks Ryan.

So when I activate my account (an account I have already set up). I will be given a new telephone number? How does that work please? How long does it take to get the telephone number activated?

I know that I will be sent a router to connect up for the broadband - do I stick the phone handset cable into a port and away I go?

Thanks again Ryan for you and your colleague's help today 👍

Paul

Hi PaulVI, 

I am glad you got some help today from my colleagues 🙂 

As for your questions about your number port and set up, you will be given a temporary number at first if your services are installed before the port is completed, then your previous number will be ported on the port date. 

As for your phone set up, you are correct - just plug your phone into the Hub and it should work within 24 hours.

If not, we can still help!

Thanks,

Megan_L

Thanks for getting back to me Megan.

As discussed with your colleague Ryan I won't be porting my number from Talktalk.

So when I activate my account will the number I'm given be my new permanent number?

Thanks in advance.

Paul 

Ah, my apologies for overlooking that aspect! It's been a long day haha

In that case yes, your temporary number I mentioned will be your permanent number if you're not porting another number over 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L