cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Landline Number - What a Palaver!

rem001
On our wavelength

I opted to add a landline to my existing broadband contract. When I placed the order I stated I wanted my existing landline number to be transferred. I was informed that because I wanted the number to be transferred they would need to send out an Engineer at an additional cost of £30.  The Engineer duly came out and connected the phone to the modem. He took the details of my existing number and service provider, he then spoke to someone on the line to request the number to be ported and he told them the number and provider.  The Engineer told me it could take up to ten days but it can be sooner, he then left - not a bad rate £30 for 15 minutes work!

So last night, exactly a week since the Engineer had been, I received a text msg informing me "We're working on transferring your home phone number, but we need some more information".  After several more text messages I was asked to input three specific characters from my VM account password, which I duly input only to be advised they did not match.  I  was then advised to ring customer care, which I did and I was eventually connected to an operator.  I then had to go through the security checks with her.  Once again I was asked for details of my VM account password, which I duly gave her only be told it was incorrect. However, as I was sat at my computer at the time, I logged into my VM account using the password she said was incorrect!  It transpired the password she had on the screen in front of her was actually the password to one of my email accounts NOT my VM account password!

The only information about the landline she asked for was the same information I had given the Engineer the week before, i.e. the number and existing service provider - so much for them needing additional information!  She then advised me the number could not be ported, I challenged this and she then asked me to hold while she made some enquiries.  After some 55 minutes on the phone she advised me that someone would be in touch in eight days time. So it appears, some seven days on from the Engineer's visit, I'm no nearer my number being transferred and it begs the question why did the Engineer have to visit for which I've incurred a charge of £30.

4 REPLIES 4

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi rem001

Thanks for posting and apologies for the landline issue.

I will clarify a few things though before sending you a PM to assist with the number port.

• The password to enter on the phone should not be the same password as your online account or anything else. It's the telephone password.
  • The engineer visit charge was to install the landline, not the number port. The number port is something they arrange.

I'll send you the PM now.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

rem001
On our wavelength

Hi John,

With regard to the password issue, I was asked for my VM account password - I only have one VM account.

With regard to the Engineer, I was told explicitly when I requested the landline be added to my account, they would send me an adaptor to enable me to connect my phone to the modem.  It was only when I said that I also wanted my existing number to be transferred they then said, "In that case, as you want to transfer your existing number we will have to send an Engineer out to do that for which there will be a charge of £30".

Kind regards,

rem001

Thanks for coming back to me. It would be an engineer visit needed to install the phone line - this is the charge. There's no charge for porting your landline number. I have addressed the password in my first reply 🙂

Do send me the PM reply to the questions asked in my PM sent and we can assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

rem001
On our wavelength

Now here I am some 24 hours on thinking this issue has been sorted but I've now received yet another text message this evening "Hello, it's Virgin Media. We're working on transferring your home phone number, but we need some more information ...".  

Do I really want to spend another 55 minutes on the phone this evening?  No thank you!