cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Landline Number - Active Line Takeover

mnadeem89
On our wavelength

Hi,

I recently placed an order with Virgin for broadband and a landline package.  The installation date was 11/05/2021 and I immediately received confirmation from my current provider that my number will be transferred over on that date.  This order (with virgin) was subsequently cancelled due to personal circumstances.

I then placed a new order with virgin on 02/05/2021 with installation booked in for 13/05/2021.  However my current provider has received no communication/request to transfer over my landline number.  Having spoken to the Virgin Customer Service team they say that they have sent it as it shows up on the account notes.

I believe somewhere along the line whilst placing the order something has gone wrong which is why my current provider has not received any notification of transfer.  I cannot be in a situation where on the 13/05/2021 I end up with two different providers.

Is there a way for Virgin Media to 'resend' this request to ensure it does arrive with my current provider.

23 REPLIES 23

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi mnadeem89,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we are sorry for any confusion around porting your number in.

When you move to us there will always be a short period where you have the 2 providers as the port request is added once the account is live and generally ports over around 10 days later.

I have had a look our end and can confirm a port is on the account as requested.

Regards

Paul.

mnadeem89
On our wavelength

Hi Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

You mention that there is always the case where for a short period I will have two providers as the port request is added and generally ports over around 10 days later.  I'm confused as when I placed the first order, a request was sent to my current provider who then emailed me to say that your number will be ported over on the 11/05/2021.  This email and confirmation was as instant as the confirmation of order placed with Virgin email.

Now having phoned my current provider numerous times, they have confirmed that no such request has been sent.  The whole point of porting the number over is that on the day of installation you keep your old number and your previous contract with another provider comes to a close.  If it's the case where this will not open then I believe that I have been misled.

Hi mnadeem89,

Thanks for coming back to us, this is correct we do get everything set up and it can go on quicker but we do advise up to 10 days, as the port is showing it will probably be done within 5 days and possibly when the services are activated.

Regards

Paul.

mnadeem89
On our wavelength

Hi Paul,

Virgin Media completed the installation on the 12th May 2021.  The engineer emphasised that he has not been told about any number transfer and gave me a new landline number.  I am now paying for broadband and phone with TWO different providers, something that I feared from the start.  Again having spoken with my previous provider they say no request has gone in.

Now having phoned customer services trying to get to the bottom of this, your colleague first said it is being ported from talk talk and then proceeded to say that the request has been sent to BT.  This is why I have lost faith in Virgin Media to transfer my number as they don't even know who to transfer from.

When I placed the initial order which was later cancelled a request went through instantly but now it seems like a lot of fumbling about looking at account notes but no actual formal request.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mnadeem89,

Thanks for getting back to us, I'm very sorry for the experience so far with porting this number over. From what I can see we had to request the number from BT as the time had elapsed for the porting to be completed directly with Talk Talk - in this situation, any numbers return to BT and we place the porting request with them.

I passed this on to a colleague to investigate and can confirm that your previous number has now been ported over to us from BT. So, he has amended the account and that the number will be ported to your telephone services tomorrow between 8am - 8pm. 

Following this time frame tomorrow, you can check if it has been completed by dialling 174 or 175 from your landline phone or by calling a mobile from your landline.

Apologies again for the delay on this - please keep us updated tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

mnadeem89
On our wavelength

Hi Molly_G

Words cannot describe my disappointment, I've already mentioned in my post above that Virgin Media has incorrectly tried porting my number from talk-talk and BT and now you have also repeated that it is from BT whom you are trying to port the number from.

My current broadband and phone provider is Now Broadband, NOT talktalk/BT.  How can you port a number from BT or talktalk when they are not my current provider?

Regards

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mnadeem89,

Apologies for any confusion. I understand BT is not your current provider, however, the number had automatically been returned to their database. Therefore, the request had to go to them. As I've mentioned, this has been successful and the number will be with you tomorrow.

Thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

mnadeem89
On our wavelength

Hi.

It is now 8pm and the number has not been transferred.  Again with great patience I ask how can you be attempting to transfer my number from BT when it is with 'NOW Broadband' and the number still works with a 'NOW broadband' line.

I must say that this transfer has been such a stressful and frustrating time.  Again I ask how can the number go back to BT when it is active with 'NOW broadband?'

Hi @mnadeem89,

Apologies I have only just picked up your message.

Can you check if this has now been completed by dialling 174 or 175 from your landline phone or by calling a mobile from your landline?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs