cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer number to parents

jamesredfern
Superfast

Theoretical question. 

If I'm moving house and VM do not supply the property can I transfer my number to my parents house so it is not lost. My parents used to be with VM but are now with another supplier so the phone port is free. Is this possible? And how long would it take?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks. I don't think it's understood though. Can they reactivate their virgin line with my number but keep there existing bt line. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Jameseredfern thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Your parents would be able to port your number to their account, providing as you say, it's with another provider.  It usually takes 10 working days from day the port is raised on the company taking the number's systems.  Also if your parents do wish to port your number, it would have to be active at the time of the request.  Have you already confirmed that the address you're moving to, does not have our services? 

Regards

Lee_R

Thanks. I don't think it's understood though. Can they reactivate their virgin line with my number but keep there existing bt line. 

They would need to reactivate the Virgin Media line first and then providing the dialing code matches, it would be possible for your parents to reserve and then transfer the number.

Regards

Lee_R

Thanks. How long would this take?

Are you definitely going to have to cancel your services at your existing address jamesrefern?  

Regards

Lee

Yes. The house I'm moving to is not supplied by vm. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jamesredfern,

Thank you for coming back to us. Please ensure that you port your number out to another provider before you put in your cancellation request, as the landline has to be active for this to be done.

The porting can take up to 10 working days, so please ensure that this is done first, before putting in your disconnection request. Otherwise, you'll be unable to port your number over to your parent's landline. 

Please get in touch with your parent's service provider to start this process. 🙂 

Once that's done, you can contact us to cancel your services if you wish. You can take a look at our cancellation page for more information, or write to us to: Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA.

Let us know if you need any further assistance going forward.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jamesredfern 

Do you or your parents have Broadband at the address you are going too?

If the answer is yes, then the solution is simple.

With no VM at the address you would have to have a new line installed by another provider, then get your number ported. You do not need to do this, nor do you need to pay line rental on a second line at the property.

Sign up with a VoIP provider such as Sipgate or Vonage (Vonage provide an adaptor that allows you to use any existing landline phone) & then transfer your number to them. Plug your adaptor into the router at the new address.

You then have a working line with your old number & an adaptor you can plug into ANY internet router anywhere and make calls using your number. No need for line rental fees. You only pay for a call package.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks