cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Landline number from Virgin Media

pnewbery
Joining in

My fibre broadband contract with Virgin Media is coming to an end and I now wish to transfer to another provider.

When I joined VM, my fibre/copper landline was ported from EE with no problem and has been provided via the Hub 3 since transfer.

However, I am told by the new provider that there is no way to port the number from Virgin to them.

Is this true? Is my old landline number now lost to Virgin Media forever?

If so, I am really unhappy about this and should have been told this was the case at sign-up.

4 REPLIES 4

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey pnewbery, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you can't port your number over.

Normally your new provider would have to reach out to us to ask for the number.

We wouldn't stop this unless the number port was impossible and normally this is when the number has deactivated 

What is the reason they have said it's not possible? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Of course it can be ported from VM, that's a legal requirement.  I suspect whoever told you this was simply making things up because they didn't know.  VM do deal with porting request, my landline is in the process of being transferred from VM to a new provider.  Your VM account needs to be in service when the transfer is undertaken, and this normally takes about two weeks.

Try speaking to your new provider again, if they still can't or won't then choose another supplier who know what they are doing.  

Yes, well I was fairly certain it should be possible and I tried to find out from the Vodafone operative why it was not. They said it was because VM used a completely different type of connection, but it was clear they did not really know and were giving me the line they were supposed to. I'll have another go at them and ask for someone above 1st line support.

Thanks for your replies.

Shouldn't this tell you something about Vodafone's customer service, and whether they're the right choice? 

If you think it's not representative then there's always Ofcom data.