cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The phone and number combination you have dialled is invalid

MS82
Tuning in

Hi team. Recently moved to VM landline and broadband from Sky. Phone number was ported across last week and shows the correct number when dialling out. 

However weirdly I can only receive calls from certain mobile networks (tested so far are Tesco mobile, giffgaff, and virgin media but I believe they all use the o2 network don’t they?). I can no longer call my own house phone using any Vodafone mobile. Sometimes I’ll just get nothing, and sometimes I’ll hear a recorded message “The code and number combination you have dialled is invalid. Please try again. You have not been charged for this call”. 

I never had a single problem on the same landline number when with Sky. I’ve tried rebooting the hub 4, and I’ve also spoken to VM technicians on 2nd line. They said they resolved it whilst I was on the phone to them however the problem persists. They never followed up to check with me or anything. 

Can anyone here help please? 

21 REPLIES 21

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello MS82

This is a very strange one that I would like to take a look at for you 

I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello MS82

Sorry for the lack of updates 

I am still looking into this for you, It is baffling me to be honest. But I have inkling what to do do fix this 

Gareth_L

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello MS82

Can I please ask if you can try your landline now and see if the issue still exists 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth,

Still the same unfortunately. My personal iPhone on Vodafone either gives you the three beeps before ending, or at other times plays that message “the code and number combination you have dialled is invalid”. 

Likewise the works Android phone on Vodafone either displays “Invalid number” or plays the error message above. 

Definitely still a problem with Vodafone users being unable to call me as had other people complaining of the same now too. 

Hi MS82

I have had to escalate this issue to our 2nd line Team 

Basically a department that look at issue like this in a lot more detail then we can 

It might take a few days to be investigated and they do tend to call the Mobile number number associated to your account, 

I will also keep an eye on this for you

Gareth_L

Thanks Gareth. 
Just for info, as I mentioned in my original post, I spoke with a 2nd line engineer on Saturday. He kept me on hold whilst he was apparently making some changes behind the scenes. After a while he came back and said the problem should now be resolved, but to be honest just seemed like he was in a rush to get rid of me. Since I was using the landline to speak to the 2nd line engineer, I wasn’t able to test it at the time - but to be honest (as someone who works as a Senior Software Developer and previously in Support myself) I wouldn’t close a case without testing thoroughly with the customer first. He was more rushed to tell me about the follow up email I might receive and hoping I’d leave good feedback. More than happy for you to listen to the recorded call - it will be from the landline number I gave to you in dm. 

Appreciate you keeping an eye on this one. Must say, support on these forums is great, but VM phone support is the worst I’ve ever experienced based on my last 3 weeks of mis-selling, incorrect contract, lies about kit I would receive for free, goodwill gestures not being credited, one team telling you what the previous team advised was wrong…I have my own recordings of calls and webchats which all contradict each other - you couldn’t make this experience up.  

Thanks for all your help and efforts though. 

Thanks MS82

I am still working on this, 

Thank you as well for your understanding and patience 

Gareth_L

Hello MS82

Quick message to get an update 

I can see we have called you to get a bit more information 

Was anything else advised at all?

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth, thanks for chasing up. 

No progress yet. The engineer just called to clarify the situation and get some time stamps as to when I’ve tried calling the landline. 
I gave all the information he asked for. 

All he said was it looks like a routing issue between Vodafone and Virgin and will investigate further. 

Thanks for your help.