cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephony Disabled

Gumbee1968
Just joined

I am having trouble trying to enable the telephony from my status.  I have tried doing this myself and by my work's communication company but to no avail.  I need to be able to access an app called Call Switch, which enables me to make and receive work phone calls from home.

I have tried many many times to sort this problem out, but have been told either, they know nothing about this telephony enabled switch or refer me to gadget support team, which is a chargeable service!

I have been told by my communication company that Virgin can simply turn off a switch called SIP ALG but so far no-one can help me with that.  The other option is to enable telephony, but again it will not let me do this myself.  

I am going round in circles here and really need to sort this problem out, otherwise I cannot work from home as I need to be able to have the app I have installed fully working.

Would be so grateful if anyone can help me.

Thanks.

I

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Do you mean enabling telephony on the VM hub? That is not something you can do yourself. Even if you could, I don't think it will help you as it sounds like you are trying to set up some kind of VOIP app.

The telephone connection on the hub only works via the TEL1 socket. When it is enabled, that port behaves like a standard landline connection for analogue phones.

Not something I am an expert in but, from past similar topics, I believe the SIP ALG setting is not available to change using the VM hub. I think you may have to use your own router with that feature available. I think your SIP ALG query might be better placed in the 'Networking and Wifi' forum. Someone on there will be able to give you the correct info.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Gumbee1968 wrote:

I am having trouble trying to enable the telephony from my status.  I have tried doing this myself and by my work's communication company but to no avail.  I need to be able to access an app called Call Switch, which enables me to make and receive work phone calls from home.

I have tried many many times to sort this problem out, but have been told either, they know nothing about this telephony enabled switch or refer me to gadget support team, which is a chargeable service!

I have been told by my communication company that Virgin can simply turn off a switch called SIP ALG but so far no-one can help me with that.  The other option is to enable telephony, but again it will not let me do this myself.  

I am going round in circles here and really need to sort this problem out, otherwise I cannot work from home as I need to be able to have the app I have installed fully working.

Would be so grateful if anyone can help me.

Thanks.

I

There is no SIP ALG "switch" on Virgin modem/routers. They are basic kit & to get this functionality requires you to purchase your own router & put the hub in Modem Mode. The Telephony disabled indication on the hub home page is for Virgin's own hub based phone service via the RJ11 sockets on the back. These are replacing Virgin's standard landlines for all customers over the next few months. They cannot be used for any other VoIP services.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Gumbee1968, and a very warm welcome to you!

I've been able to access your account and can see that you're in fact not on a phone line that runs through the hub.

I would advise speaking with your workplace to see if they have any work around for employees who may still be on one of the older copper lines

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I don't think the VM phone line is part of the immediate problem/solution. It appears to be a networking issue to set up VOIP software to work via the VM hub.