cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone calls through my Virgin 1Gb router

Wonnie1947
Tuning in

Does anyone know if I can route my landline through my Virgin 1Gb router.

I am in postal area NE38.

Thanks, Wonnie1947

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sounds like your setup is suitable to switch over without any of those other considerations then and you are aware of all the possible limitations of the landline phone (non)availability depending on the operating status of the VM hub.

I asked the above because there are so many frequent topics on here from customers not realising some of the limitations and then finding their existing setup doesn't work as before in some way. They then end up in extended discussions with VM on here to try to remedy the situation.

Wait for the VM forum team to get back to your topic and they will hopefully be able to set this in motion for you.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I think it does depend on your VM area. Some customers seem to be able to opt in. Some have to wait for an official rollout to take place. In some cases, customers with a fault on their existing landline are migrated over as an alternative to repairing the fault. The target date for everyone to be moved to it is in 2025.

Any specific reason you want to move to 21CV?

There are a number of drawbacks with its initial phase of rollout IMO such as resilience during power outages and when the hub is offline as well as connecting third party devices and phone extension sockets.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Wonnie1947, and a very warm welcome to you

I've been able to locate your account and it does appear that you would be able to alter the landline services to use the router for landline if you wished to do so

Do feel free to come back to us if you would like to look into this further with us and we'll see if this can be arranged

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Iv'e looked up some information and found that I need an adapter made up of an RJ11 male connector and a BT female connector. I purchased one of these from RhinoCables but it doesnt work. Some one suggested to me that VM uses a different network than other providers and this may be stopping me from taking this route.

I realize that there may be some teething problems with this action, but it's all going to change anyway so I may as well get on board now.

We have our mobiles for back-up.

I'd be grateful for any help. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

The VM forum team can help you move over to the 21CV connection as advised at #3 if you want to move over.

Do you have any other devices connected to the line such as burglar alarms, care/medical alarms, nuisance call blockers etc.?

Do you currently make use of telephone extension sockets around the home or do you just have one phone (or a cordless phone system) connected?

If you do, then there are implications for the above. If you have just the one phone or a cordless phone system and nothing else then the switch is more straightforward.

I only have one telephone socket mounted right next to the router. The phone is a BT cordless. Thre are no services throghthe landline.

My burglar alarm is on it's own circuit with battery back-up.

@Wonnie1947 wrote:

I only have one telephone socket mounted right next to the router. The phone is a BT cordless. Thre are no services throghthe landline.

My burglar alarm is on it's own circuit with battery back-up.

Without wanting to drag this on too much longer for you ...

When your burglar alarm is activated, does it dial out to alert a central call centre who then call you or does the alarm dial out to you directly or phone someone else?

If it does this, how does it make that call? New installations may use a mobile signal to do this. Older installations may do this via a connection to the telephone line.

Your alarm may not do this at all and may just sound locally via the wall box outside.

It just sounds locally through the wall box.

Sounds like your setup is suitable to switch over without any of those other considerations then and you are aware of all the possible limitations of the landline phone (non)availability depending on the operating status of the VM hub.

I asked the above because there are so many frequent topics on here from customers not realising some of the limitations and then finding their existing setup doesn't work as before in some way. They then end up in extended discussions with VM on here to try to remedy the situation.

Wait for the VM forum team to get back to your topic and they will hopefully be able to set this in motion for you.

Thanks for coming back to us @Wonnie1947,

I can seek to look into the prospect of moving the landline over to our 21CV services

With this, our engineers would issue you with the required adaptor to work with our services

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn