cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech Help with modifying telephone wiring

GeoffTownley
On our wavelength

I have the RJ11 adaptor for the switch over to VOIP, my telephone socket is wired directly into the external Virgin junction box. I need to know about the colour codes, in the box the virgin wires used are blue and white, the cable to my house socket is connected with blue/white, orange/white and white/orange, (I thought that only 2 wires were required), the RJ11 adaptor has 4 wires in the plug, orange, blue, green & white.

I want to use a salvaged phone plug, to plug into the adaptor and to be connected, via a terminal block, to the wire going to the home phone socket, this has wires red, black, green & yellow.

Does anyone know which of these four wires I should connect to the RJ11 plug/adaptor.

21 REPLIES 21

I cannot use broadband via your cable network, I can access broadband via my mobile phone, but that uses EE netwrok and is nothing to do with Virgin.

I received my phoneline adaptor months ago.

The instructions said that you, Virgin, would notify me as to when the switch over would take and when to fit the adaptor. I have been trying to get a basic technical question answered regarding the phone,but that has nothing to do with the modem problems.

Hhave you bothererd to read the notes about your issues with my service? I had a woman call me yesterday regarding an issue concerning my landline, but as I said to her, my issue was not with the landline, it was with the LAN, but the muppets in India don't understand English well enough to differentiate the difference.

You need to get a manager phone me, on my mobile, before I raise a complaint with Ofcom.

Hello Geoff. I have heard back from the team. 

We wouldn't advise or give information on how to amend the equipment. We are happy to arrange an engineer visit for you but this will cost £25 and may not guarantee you what you want.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I'm not going to pay you £25 to rectify an issue which is entirely of your making, maybe it's best to cancel my contract.

I'm not going to touch your equipment, Im only going to fit a plug to MY telephone wire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for coming back to me. We have sent you an adapter to plug the telephone wire into the hub. 

Any other changes beyond this we cannot guarantee

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I don't need an adaptor as I already have one, I just need to know which colour wires are required to connect my house telephone wires to your adaptor.

Hi @GeoffTownley,

There will be instructions with the adapter to tell you how to plug it in and use it, what cables you'll use, etc. and there's also a bunch of information about the switchover you can find here.

Essentially, you will connect your landline cable to the adapter, and then you will connect the adapter into the back of your router. We've provided details and an image here which will help illustrate that.

If you need any further help, let us know.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I'm not stupid I know exahow to plug in the adaptor,  but my phone is nowhere near the modem, so I need to connect a telephone cable i.e. bare wires, to the adaptor.

I've now been without broadband 4 days!! Forget the phone for now.

Unfortunately, we would be unable to assist or support with any 3rd party devices or personal in home set ups. We recommend relocating your phone handset to your routers location. If this is not something you would like to do, we can relocate your router to your home phone. There would be a £25 charge to relocate the router. Let me know if this is something you'd like me to arranged for you. 

Sorry to hear you're also having issues with your broadband. Is this issue affecting all your devices or is this just with your WiFi devices? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley