cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech Help with modifying telephone wiring

GeoffTownley
On our wavelength

I have the RJ11 adaptor for the switch over to VOIP, my telephone socket is wired directly into the external Virgin junction box. I need to know about the colour codes, in the box the virgin wires used are blue and white, the cable to my house socket is connected with blue/white, orange/white and white/orange, (I thought that only 2 wires were required), the RJ11 adaptor has 4 wires in the plug, orange, blue, green & white.

I want to use a salvaged phone plug, to plug into the adaptor and to be connected, via a terminal block, to the wire going to the home phone socket, this has wires red, black, green & yellow.

Does anyone know which of these four wires I should connect to the RJ11 plug/adaptor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, we would be unable to assist or support with any 3rd party devices or personal in home set ups. We recommend relocating your phone handset to your routers location. If this is not something you would like to do, we can relocate your router to your home phone. There would be a £25 charge to relocate the router. Let me know if this is something you'd like me to arranged for you. 

Sorry to hear you're also having issues with your broadband. Is this issue affecting all your devices or is this just with your WiFi devices? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi GeoffTownley

Thanks for posting. Sorry for the confusion here. I'll send a PM now, get some details and find the answer for you 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I'm still waiting for your tech to contact me and 3 days ago my modem died, still no Internet!

Hello Geoff,

Sorry to hear that - I've done a system check for you and no issues are showing. Are there any lights on the hub? 

I've reached out again to the field team for you.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John

I've now lost my telephone line, so no services at all, the single yellow/white light is on the hub. Make sure that they call my mobile [MOD EDIT: Personal details]

I've had the phone number removed from the post. Is the internet working just not the phoneline? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

No, nothing is working, the wifi came back on for about 10 minutes at 2.00pm, but has stopped again.

Sorry to hear this GeoffTownley. Do you see your WiFi network available at all to select from the option on your device?

Your adapter for your phone line needs to connect into the grey port at the back of the router that's labelled Tel 1, once you have your phone connected into the router, the phone line should be able to make a receive calls. If you are still having issues, please can you try a 60 second pin hole reset on the router. This will revert any customisations back to factory settings and full update the router with firmware/software updates. Please do not reboot the router whilst it is completing the pin hole request. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

My phone says that it's connected to the modem via wifi, but there is no internet connection, my phone is not plugged into the modem, its still connected to your brown external box, I'm waiting for the switch over to you new system. The phone was working yesterday, Thursday.

Is this WiFi issue happening on just your phone or are you able to connect to the WiFi and browse the internet on another device? When have you been advised that the switch over will take place? If you have received the adapter from us, this usually means that your phoneline has switched over to the digital/IP system and is no longer functional on the old copper line. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley