cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Weekends charges

Helen72
Tuning in

I have Talk Weekends as part of my package but have consistently been charged for calls I make. The calls are to a UK landline number so I don't understand why I'm being charged? I thought calls were free at the weekend with this package? (Note that I accept that some numbers may incur a charge, but I am not calling those numbers).

Just received a bill with an extra £20 of calls when I've only phoned my mum! 

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Did any of the calls go over 60 min's? Each w/e call is free up to 60 min then chargeable after that. Redial before 60 min to avoid being charged.

This is a common reason for unexpected landline charges.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Helen72,

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry for the bill confusion. Have you looked in your online account? To see breakdown of the charges.

Depending on your call plan this could be a result of something like the calls lasting longer than an hour; on your free calls plan, you would only have 59 min and 59 seconds call free, then you'd need to hang up and redial.

If on weekend calls as well for example, was the calls made during the week?

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Yes they are over 60 minutes. I didn't know there was a limit 😳.  Is that recent? I've had Virgin Media previously and don't remember that being an issue. 

I'll try and remember to re-dial if it looks like being a long call. Thanks for the reply. 🙂

Hi Hayley,

Thanks for the reply. The calls are all at the weekend, but I think it's the time limit that's causing the charges. I wasn't aware of the limit. 

Thank you. 😊 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Helen72,

No problem, I am sorry that you have not been made aware of this previously.

I hope you have no further issues with this now that you do know 🙂

I hope you also have a lovely Sunday!

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Helen72 wrote:

Yes they are over 60 minutes. I didn't know there was a limit 😳.  Is that recent? I've had Virgin Media previously and don't remember that being an issue.  

The 60 minute rule has been in force on all the “talk” tariffs since they were introduced around 15 years ago. I think they replaced NTL’s original 3/2/1 tariff at the time cable Broadband started replacing dial-up internet.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The first 60 minutes being free is nothing new, BT had it on its Together Option 2 discount scheme for evening and weekend calls since at least 2003.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection