cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Weekend free phone numbers

gerryatric10
On our wavelength

I have Talk Weekends in my package but is it free to call an 0800 number from my landline any day of the week please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Is that correct?

Top of page 6 of the linked doc says "Calls to 080 numbers are always freephone"

I think there is a June 2022 doc at

https://www.virginmedia.com/callcosts

(although, in the best of VM website traditions, there seems to be multiple links to multiple different call charge documents of different ages on different pages!)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

29 REPLIES 29

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there gerryatric10, thanks for posting on our help forum and for the question asked.

We can generally advise that when on Talk Weekends you may use your landline to make free calls on weekends only, if you call someone anytime mid-week you will get charges exceeding your allowance depending on the number.

Please, refer to our call usage charges guide here to view all charges for calls in all of our Talk Plans.

For the 0800 numbers, we can advise they would not cause you any charges if you call during the weekend.

On a weekday it would cost you the same with calling in a UK landline.

Let us know if this helps and if you got more questions or concerns, happy to advise.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Is that correct?

Top of page 6 of the linked doc says "Calls to 080 numbers are always freephone"

I think there is a June 2022 doc at

https://www.virginmedia.com/callcosts

(although, in the best of VM website traditions, there seems to be multiple links to multiple different call charge documents of different ages on different pages!)

Thanks for your reply but I must agree with the reply questioning if that is correct, I also read at the top of the price guide that 080 numbers are always free.

Thank you for making this point, I also read that and found it a little confusing.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi again gerryatric10 and many apologies for this confusion.

You're right as the 0800 ones are free from all VM landlines however this is when you call within your free Talk Weekend plan which is from Friday after midnight to Sunday midnight.

Thanks to goslow for the advice and for pointing this out. 
There's also been quite a few changes to our call charges list in the past few years, indeed.

I will do my best to help with any other questions you may have.

Adri
Forum Team

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Adri_G wrote:

Hi again gerryatric10 and many apologies for this confusion.

You're right as the 0800 ones are free from all VM landlines however this is when you call within your free Talk Weekend plan which is from Friday after midnight to Sunday midnight.

Thanks to goslow for the advice and for pointing this out. 
There's also been quite a few changes to our call charges list in the past few years, indeed.

I will do my best to help with any other questions you may have.

AIUI, 0800 and 0808 should be free from consumer landlines and mobiles at any time. AFAIK, there should not be time restrictions as they are freephone numbers for domestic customers.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/how-muc...

A 'feature' of the 'Talk Weekends' package is for 0870 calls. In the section here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/landline-call-costs

on 'Free / unlimited calls' for 'Talk Weekends' it mentions

Talk Weekends
With our landline standard package, you’ll get inclusive weekend calls to UK landlines and Virgin Mobile numbers, as well as inclusive weekend calls to 0870 numbers.

(presumably with the usual 60 min call limit)

perhaps this is where the confusion lies about timings as 0870 is not normally a free number whereas I believe 0800 and 0808 should always be for consumers.

Thank you for clearing that point up, I did get the idea that 0800 numbers should be freephone at all times but being on an OAP on a limited pension I needed to make sure.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the replies, please check the link on my first post with our updated call usage charges list as you will find all info on this there.

0800 numbers are free when calling within your plan's times so this may vary for our customers.

Regards,

Adri
Forum Team

@gerryatric10 wrote:
Thank you for clearing that point up, I did get the idea that 0800 numbers should be freephone at all times but being on an OAP on a limited pension I needed to make sure.

For clarity, gerryatric10, my comments at message #7 are just my own opinion. I am not a VM employee so don't take my word as the 'official line' from VM. That still seems to be saying at #9 that you can only call 0800 for free at the w/e.