Menu
Highlighted
Sajid1709
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Talk Anytime calls to Sky mobile

I have talk anytime package that allows me to make calls to UK based mobile numbers. I have noticed on my bill I have been charged for making calls to a number that is registered with Sky Mobile. Is this correct? Tried calling VM but the handler cant really answer the question.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Talk Anytime calls to Sky mobile

@Sajid1709 wrote:

I have talk anytime package that allows me to make calls to UK based mobile numbers. I have noticed on my bill I have been charged for making calls to a number that is registered with Sky Mobile. Is this correct? Tried calling VM but the handler cant really answer the question.

According to VM tariff PDF's, Sky Mobile, along with some other VMNO's now use a WiFi based calling system. These are not standard mobile numbers, so are not covered by the Anytime tariff.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Sajid1709
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your answer, so how is the customer to know which mobile networks we can call and which we cant. Should a warning not come up on the call to say this call will be charged?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM's call tariffs (available via their main website) state which number ranges are classed as WiFi. Putting a message on is not as simple as it sounds, as there are over 100 number ranges dispersed all over the 07 block of numbers that are not classed as standard mobiles.

The other way to look is to use an internet search.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

we had thsi "not free" issue a while back and fixed it by leasving sky mobile!

but my wife's contract with O2 ends soon and she is a sky customer and thus eligible for a low SIM only price...

if we transferred her existing mobilenumber to SKY would it be callable for free like it is now on o2?

or to put it another way, what drives it begin detected as " wifi" - the number range or the network it is on, irrespective of what  number is.

so if we got here existing O2 number working on sky mobile, would it still be free to call from VM landline, or not ?

how can I get a definitive answer to this I suspect that sky , and O2 will both " not know" and say " go ask the other" ?

if instead, we switched to Virgin mobile, then I would not expect any issues with free calls from landline bur I have read various horror stores about VM mobile admin, is it better than it used to be, and could it be trusted to handle a keep existing number process

finally, is it even possible to move an existing number before a 24 month contract ends. I accept that the balance of the contract will still have to be paid, but can you move the number & get that all working before paying off the old contract ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@cybmole wrote:

we had thsi "not free" issue a while back and fixed it by leasving sky mobile!

but my wife's contract with O2 ends soon and she is a sky customer and thus eligible for a low SIM only price...

if we transferred her existing mobilenumber to SKY would it be callable for free like it is now on o2?

or to put it another way, what drives it begin detected as " wifi" - the number range or the network it is on, irrespective of what  number is.

so if we got here existing O2 number working on sky mobile, would it still be free to call from VM landline, or not ?

how can I get a definitive answer to this I suspect that sky , and O2 will both " not know" and say " go ask the other" ?

if instead, we switched to Virgin mobile, then I would not expect any issues with free calls from landline bur I have read various horror stores about VM mobile admin, is it better than it used to be, and could it be trusted to handle a keep existing number process

finally, is it even possible to move an existing number before a 24 month contract ends. I accept that the balance of the contract will still have to be paid, but can you move the number & get that all working before paying off the old contract ?

The numbers themselves remain leased to the original operator, & incoming calls are still routed through their systems. So it does not matter who you pay for outgoing calls on the number, the incoming calls remain as original operator.

In short, don’t port WiFi numbers, or you will still be charged to call them.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

you lost me witht he last sentence

we are proposing ot port a nonwifi number from o2 to sky - we can call that number for free as at now

so it would play out like thi i think

i buy sky mobile- they send me a sim withi i activate. that will have one of these strange no-quite-free wifi numbers

but we dont use it. we immediately go thouhg the get a POE? and get your old number ported process.

so as soon as that port takes effect the sim in her old phone stops working and her old number begins to work on the SKY sim, in a new phone which we have already bought,. 

we should be able to still call that number for free? even though that number is now tied to a SKY SIM only deal in am unlocked moto  phone we just  bought from amazon

I think you are saying that doing it the other way around does not work ? -  that there is no point in porting a not-free wifi number to any other newtawork as it will continue to be classed as wifi and not free

please put me straight if I got any of that wrong.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep!

As stated, the number stays linked to the original provider for incoming calls. So if you move an O2 number to any other provider it is still seen as an O2 number for incoming calls. The number lists on the tariff pdf’s therefore never change. All you are changing by porting is the mobile provider that charges you for the outgoing calls.

I ported my Virgin Mobile number to Tesco Mobile, but anyone who calls me sees my number as a Virgin Mobile number for charging purposes.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks,

meanwhile is the original issue still unfixed i.e. do sky still use number ranges that are not treated as free, and does anyone else also do that... or have virgin amended their number ranges for tariffs...

0 Kudos