cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switchover - phone with two base stations?

rus-tom
Joining in

Hi - Like many people, the base unit for my phone is in the hall and the Virgin hub is in the living room so I'll have to move the phone next to the hub for the switchover. My thinking at the moment is to find a phone with two base stations - one to go next to the hub and the other to keep in the hall so that I still have easy access to the answerphone. I can't find anything like that so I wonder if any of you know of a suitable phone system, or of a system where the slave phone will alert me that a message has been left and let me pick up the message from the slave rather than constantly having to traipse through the living room every time I come home.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Most cordless systems allow you to have full control of the answering machine functions etc. via the satellite handset so you don't need to be standing next to the answering machine in order to use it/pick up messages.

If you only need two phones the you would buy a twin pack of cordless phones consisting of a handset on the main base station unit and a satellite handset which rests on a simple charger.

Find a cordless system that you think fits your needs, then download the user manual for that model and confirm it allows control of all the functions you require from the satellite handset.

(You can usually control the answering machine from the satellite handset and the satellite should also be able to show you and indication of missed calls and messages waiting, usually via an onscreen message or flashing light etc. Models from BT, Panasonic and Siemens are often mentioned on here and would be a suitable place to start looking)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Most cordless systems allow you to have full control of the answering machine functions etc. via the satellite handset so you don't need to be standing next to the answering machine in order to use it/pick up messages.

If you only need two phones the you would buy a twin pack of cordless phones consisting of a handset on the main base station unit and a satellite handset which rests on a simple charger.

Find a cordless system that you think fits your needs, then download the user manual for that model and confirm it allows control of all the functions you require from the satellite handset.

(You can usually control the answering machine from the satellite handset and the satellite should also be able to show you and indication of missed calls and messages waiting, usually via an onscreen message or flashing light etc. Models from BT, Panasonic and Siemens are often mentioned on here and would be a suitable place to start looking)

I have a similar problem. My hub is upstairs, TV in living room, main phone was in the hall but have been forced to plug in upstairs.

I do have an Ethernet cable running from the hub to the TV box. Could I use this cable, with adapters, to relocate the answer phone downstairs?

I realise that this is a question not an answer but so close to the first question that I’d give it a go.

@Oldsquareyes wrote:

I have a similar problem. My hub is upstairs, TV in living room, main phone was in the hall but have been forced to plug in upstairs.

I do have an Ethernet cable running from the hub to the TV box. Could I use this cable, with adapters, to relocate the answer phone downstairs?

I realise that this is a question not an answer but so close to the first question that I’d give it a go.

You'd do best to start your own topic for your own query/issue but ...

If you have your hub and phone indifferent locations, VM should offer to provide you with a phone extension socket (FOC) as part of the switchover process.

See the section here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

When to book a free technician visit
You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.

You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets.
You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
The Hub and phone can’t be placed near each other.

In answer to your question ref using the ethernet cable, that is possible but, presumably, you would then lose a reliable connection to your TV area (a cabled connection is preferable IMO over a wireless one)

Hi Oldsquareyes

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

We'll be happy to relocate the hub if you're happy to do so?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks, Virgin have been in touch & offered to move the hub which might make more sense in the long term. I can then get rid of the 20 meter cable running through the house. The technician might even explain which of the old phone cables I can get rid of.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Oldsquareyes,

I'm glad to hear that we've been able to get the ball rolling with this, for you. The Technician will be able to advise on which cables you can remove, as long as they were a part of our network previously.

Please let us know how you get on 🙂

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Great! Now, is there a better way to request a tech visit? V long wait on the phone.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Oldsquareeyes, 

Thank you for getting back to us, we would be happy to help. 

We will just need to take a few details via private message so I will pop this over to the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat