cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switchover landline can make calls but not receive them

Offskyasap
Joining in

This seems to be a common issue on this forum, but none of the posts appear to have been resolved here.

I have fitted the switchover adapter and get a dial tone and I am able to make calls from all three phones linked to the landline, however when I try to dial in I get a continuous tone which I think is what used to be described as 'unobtainable'.

Grinding my way through the 'help' system I perform a systems test which tells me there is no phone connected - which there plainly is. There are then some suggested actions before I am asked 'Is there a dial tone?' When I respond yes (as that is not the issue) I get a cheerful message saying "All set then" or similar and that's me reached the end of the rabbit hole.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated as Virgin plainly don't want to be contacted directly by their customers.

TIA

Offskyasap

Not very helpful I'm afraid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No other issues. Just cannot receive incoming calls - whatever it says on my account! Perhaps if you just tried to ring my landline you would hear the problem.

The engineer yesterday said it was a “known problem” - which as you can see from this forum obviously affects a number of users - so please forgive me if I say that you telling me that you can’t see any errors or faults is less than helpful. There is a fault. It has been confirmed by a Virgin engineer (Alan if you want his name). It has not been fixed. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Offskyasap,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with our telephone services and not being able to call your line.

We appreciate that you have performed several diagnostics already to no avail. Can we ask if you have removed all extension leads and just tried the main handset? if you have an alternative handset to try that would be great, but if you haven't, don't worry.

Can we clarify if you have rebooted the router and tried calling your line again once this has booted up?

Please can you try the above first and come back to me after you have performed the above?

Kind regards Jodi. 

Interested to see the outcome to this.

My inlaws switched over on the 20th, and can make outgoing calls, but not receive any incoming. They are quite elderly, and have just had concerned friends at the door, worried that there was something wrong. Clearly not ideal, and to be honest poses a few safety/well-being issues in my opinion.

I have already advised them to reboot the router, which has made no difference. The Virgin online line checker is reporting "Looks like there's no phone connected".

They were well organised in advance of their switchover date and had an extension run between the router and their phone base unit, as they are located in different rooms. I'll visit tomorrow and try a different handset plugged directly into the router itself.

I popped on here to see if anybody else was experiencing the same issue, and it certainly seems they are not alone.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi reaper0374, sorry to hear your parents are having a problem with their phone line. 

If another handset doesn't help then please get back to me via PM and we'll be able to look further into it for you.

Tom 

stevedodman
Tuning in

Switched over last Wednesday. Now cannot receive calls. Did all the usual - unplug, replug, tried different handset, rebooted router etc. Made two calls to Virgin Support (150). Engineer booked. Came last night - checked that my phone was plugged into the right socket on the router, verified that the fault still exists - said there was nothing else to be done but wait for 24/48 hours and it should be fixed. Heard him reporting to the mothership that there is no "ernie" on the line!

We wait with baited breath to see if it is indeed fixed. Hopefully the hospital and doctor from whom we are expecting calls have the sense to use my mobile number if they can't get through. 

Not hugely impressed with Virgin Media right at this moment. Certainly won't be using "£50 if you recommend us to someone else" card that the engineer left.

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @stevedodman,

I am really sorry to hear about the problems that you've been having with your telephone services.Please let us know if you don't see any improvements with your service, and we can look into this further for you.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

24 hours now since the engineer left saying it would be working in 24/48 hours. Included leaving a card claiming “All sorted”.

Still not working so it certainly isn’t all sorted at all.

Unimpressed with this level of service.

Hi @stevedodman,

Thank you for expanding. I am really sorry to hear that this issue is ongoing for you.

Using the information you used when signing up to the community forum, I've taken a look on the line and I can't seem to see any errors or faults there that would be causing this problem for you.

Are you having issues with any other services at the moment, or just your landline service?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

No other issues. Just cannot receive incoming calls - whatever it says on my account! Perhaps if you just tried to ring my landline you would hear the problem.

The engineer yesterday said it was a “known problem” - which as you can see from this forum obviously affects a number of users - so please forgive me if I say that you telling me that you can’t see any errors or faults is less than helpful. There is a fault. It has been confirmed by a Virgin engineer (Alan if you want his name). It has not been fixed. 

Hi @stevedodman,

Thank you for the prompt response. I'm not denying that you're experiencing a fault, just that there isn't one detected on the line which is why I was looking for a bit more information.

I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so we can take some additional details and have a closer look at what's going on for you. Please respond to this at your earliest convenience and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!