cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switchover from landline has failed, so far.

DJW13
Tuning in

I had the letter in March saying the landline would be switched off on 6 June. I later received the adapter to plug into my hub. I assumed that there would be a follow-up email in June to confirm the action date, but nothing was received. I discovered it had happened when I didn't get a call I was expecting from someone.

I tested the connection into the hub by using a corded Cable & Wireless CWP200 which had previously been plugged into the landline. I picked up the receiver and there was a dial tone. I then tested that it could receive calls by ringing on the mobile, but nothing appeared to happen. I then discovered that the test call was connecting but the phone wasn't ringing!

I then tried to connect by using my cordless phone, a Panasonic KX-TG7120E. This doesn't work at all - no dial tone. So far I have tried re-booting the router; used a different cable between the phone and the hub, in case it was damaged when I moved it from the kitchen to the study; had a call to Virgin on 150. The first technician couldn't help so transferred me to a manager. She couldn't think of anything to do that would help, although she may have tried something in the background, as she did go away to do something then rang be back on my mobile. She did suggest I used a different phone, but as I don't have one presumably I have to go off and buy one? There is of course no guarantee that this will work either.

It's really disappointing that a system that was working perfectly before (and would continue to work in a power cut) has been replaced by something that so far doesn't work for me, and may involve me in extra expense to make operative.

I hope someone can suggest a solution that will result in my cordless phone working again.

24 REPLIES 24

Ryan apparently booked an engineer to arrive today between 12 and 4. There is no sign of him yet at 18.44 and no appointment shows on My Virgin Media. Should someone book another appointment?

Hi DJW13,

Sorry to hear this, are you able to see the appointment via your online account here

Alex_Rm

No - 

It looks like you don't have any open orders!

I've been without a fully working landline since the sudden switchover on 6 June - at least there have been no scammers getting through!

It turned out to be a very simple solution. The engineer replaced the adapter and old cable with a new cable which went from the cordless phone into the router. 

I had assumed that because I had tried the cable from the corded phone without success the cable was OK.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for keeping me posted. Glad all is working for you. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.

mar45
On our wavelength

Hi

The landline is still not working, Still cannot receive incoming calls. One ring & then only dial tone,  Can only ring my Virgin mobile from the landline when indoors, but cannot ring landline from my Virgin mobile, just the one ring then dead.  .

regards

mar45

Hi @mar45

Welcome back to our community.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with the land line. 

Has the land line worked since you last spoke with us in February?

Has this just recently stopped working again?

Please pop back to us when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

mar45
On our wavelength

Hi                                                             

Landline problem area 20

Thanks for replying. The line has been fine since February repair (which was a problem with the main on street box), until a few days ago when no phone calls were getting through. There would be only one short ring on incoming calls & then nothing; or sometimes just a none stop dial tone which stops outgoing calls being made, 

Incidentally call forwarding has attached itself to my Virgin mobile whatever it is. I didn't download it nor was I asked; which was the same with the answerphone which presented itself on to my mobile which I also didn't want or organize. I don't seem to be able to remove these either as I don't want to mess up my mobile as I'm not mobile savvy as many are & anyway the landline is a more important problem at the moment

Regards

Regards

Thanks for coming back to us mar45,

Can we ask if you have been able to try another handset in your master socket? 

Also, if you have any other equipment or extension sockets please can you make sure these are unplugged.

If this does not eliminate the issue, please come back to us as we may need to arrange an engineers visit for you.

Please check the link here https://www.virginmedia.com/care/fix-your-landline for further help and support with this issue. 

Kind regards Jodi.