cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switchover cable removal?

gbe
Joining in

Hi

I am due to have a technician visit next week to carry out a switchover of my phone service (two lines with multiple extensions) to VOIP. As I understand it, this means only a cable to the router will be required. Can anyone tell me whether the old cables and boxes will be removed from inside the house and also on the outside of the property. Some of the cables outside have been in situ for many years across brickwork and are now underneath new soffits/fascias etc. Might the technician climb on ladders and low roof to gain access to said cabling?

Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12

Hi

Yes, the sockets in various rooms of the house and all the cables and plastic box housing the cables on the outside walls.

Hi @gbe,

We would advise against destroying/removing any of the installation, including the Omni box outside of the property.

If this is damaged and affects your services, there would be a £99 call out charge for an engineer to come and correct this.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are having a tech visit to switch your phone to the hub, then the hub will be wired to your current master socket, which in turn operates your current extensions. The only cable that becomes redundant is the phone cable from the master socket to the omnibox. The incoming phone cable is bonded to the Broadband/TV coax, so cannot be removed.

As stated, the move to 21CV hub based lines is the first stage of moving to full VoIP. The next stage, which will be coordinated with BT, will be the switch off of all analogue telephone exchanges & migration to internet servers. All telephone exchanges will be decommissioned by the end of 2025. Any vulnerable customers can have an EBUL fitted that will enable calls to emergency services via the mobile phone networks.

OFCOM has removed any onus on providers for a full VoIP backup system due to the logistical problems of maintaining backup power to thousands of street cabinets all over the country, & the proliferation of mobile services that are now available.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks