Menu
scurrybwfc
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Switching number from Sky

I am trying to find when my old home phone number from sky will be transferred to virgin. My virgin was installed last Thursday and sky disconnected yesterday and the virgin engineer who came last week said once that happens my number would be switched from the temporary one given to me at the time. So far this hasn’t happened and if I ring my old sky number it’s just dead. Please can anyone advise?

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switching number from Sky

Hi there @scurrybwfc

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - I am sorry about any delay or issues with your number port. 

When bringing a number to us from another provider, that number must remain active until it is transferred to us. This means that no disconnection order can be booked on it with your old provider - if any disconnection is booked on or if the line has already been disconnected, the port request will be rejected. 

As your number is no longer active, we would not be able to bring this over to us - you would need to chat with  your old provider to see if they can reactivate the line for you and we then then submit the request once again. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
scurrybwfc
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie, this is not what the installer said - he specifically said it wouldn’t happen until the line was disconnected by Sky. Is there anyone who can contact me regarding this issue?

Also worth noting I waited 5 days after install before the sky line disconnected - if I’d been told it’d take longer I would’ve waited longer but was given no indication that was the case...

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HI there @scurrybwfc

I am sorry if the installation technician advised as such - when porting a number, the number must remain active and cannot have any disconnection requests assigned to the number or in progress for a future disconnection.

When a number port is booked with an active number, this can be done on the date of installation, sometimes maybe within a couple of days. It all depends on when you requested the port with us.

As the line with your old provider is no longer active, you would need to chat with your old provider first - once the number is active again, we can then submit the request to bring it over to us. 

I am sorry.

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
scurrybwfc
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As I say I waited 5 days! Why did virgin not do this in the period between installation and cancellation of sky? I also didn’t request the cancellation from sky until Saturday night (more than 48 hours after installation) so you had ample time. Can someone get in touch with me regarding this?

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

We are in touch with you here @scurrybwfc - I can only apologise about any confusion or misunderstanding caused over your landline. 

If you had booked the port with us, there would have been no need to book the disconnection with your old provider. Unfortunately as the number is no longer active with Sky, the likelihood of us getting the number ported to us is quite slim unless the number belonged to us initially. 

We can certainly check that for you - as mentioned, I have located your account form here already so in order to check the number origin, I'll pop you a Private Message so we can go through security with you. 

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos