cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from copper

mikewot
On our wavelength

Just had a call saying from Virgin Media, woman sounded Indian, not the usual Philipino.  Anyhoo she said that we will need to be switched over from copper to fibre for the phone.   I read that it's a government requirement before 2025.  OK no problem with that except our phone doesn't come via yea olde BT copper wire (because that only runs to the outside of the house, I removed all the internal wires years ago), it comes with the broadband and that comes into the house via coax cable.  Our house was wired up by Telewest around 23 years ago on coax and Virgin took them over.

My question is, does this mean that Virgin are going to replace the coax with fibre?

33 REPLIES 33

llamedos1
On our wavelength

Good luck with that, the engineer who did mine couldn't do the cabling as he wasn't trained to fit BT4 plugs, although I was told they would run a cable from my router to my phone, so I did it myself and I would of trained the engineer if he'd came back the next day how to fit a BT4 plug.

Another Monday morning with internet and tv down in my area. Service status confirms internet and tv down but says landline phone still works. Not if you have been switched it doesn't, callers just get disconnected without ringing (no useful message telling callers VM are at fault) and no ringtone. Useless, not-fit-for-purpose, dangerous and irresponsible. Although I doubt anyone at VM is listening, other than the usual, oh dear try switching it off and on again and try again tomorrow. Oh and voicemail still does not work, 2 weeks after registering a complaint.

Hi Shark008

Sorry to hear that you're currently experiencing an area outage. If your phoneline is connected directly into the router then this will also be affected by the outage affecting the internet. My apologies, I'm not able to locate your information on our side, does the service status advise of any estimate end time/date at all? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

What are you on about!