cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from copper

mikewot
On our wavelength

Just had a call saying from Virgin Media, woman sounded Indian, not the usual Philipino.  Anyhoo she said that we will need to be switched over from copper to fibre for the phone.   I read that it's a government requirement before 2025.  OK no problem with that except our phone doesn't come via yea olde BT copper wire (because that only runs to the outside of the house, I removed all the internal wires years ago), it comes with the broadband and that comes into the house via coax cable.  Our house was wired up by Telewest around 23 years ago on coax and Virgin took them over.

My question is, does this mean that Virgin are going to replace the coax with fibre?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anankha
Problem sorter

Does the phone connect directly to the hub? If yes then you’re fine: if not then this is what will be required after the switchover.
Did the caller as you for any account or bank details? Did she say anything else other than you need to be switched over?

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

33 REPLIES 33

Anankha
Problem sorter

Does the phone connect directly to the hub? If yes then you’re fine: if not then this is what will be required after the switchover.
Did the caller as you for any account or bank details? Did she say anything else other than you need to be switched over?

mikewot
On our wavelength

No the phone connects into a standard style phone socket in a box on the wall.  I don't have an issue with it connecting to the hub 3, its only about a foot away 🙂  Hub 3 has 2 phone type sockets on the back.

I was waiting to be asked bank details etc. but nope, only address.  I thought it might have been a scam/phishing call as soon as she spoke but there was none of the usual nonsense.   Only told about switch over, are there alarms on the line?  Any vulnerable people in the house?  Do I have a mobile (which she rang me on!)?  Appointment made for next month.

Glad to hear they didn’t ask the questions which would’ve pointed to a scam.
It would seem to call was genuine.

mikewot
On our wavelength
Yes that was my first concern 🙂 I am still curious about the 'switchover' away from copper because coax is copper 🙂 Whether my landline is analogue or VOIP I couldn't care less, very rarely use landline but my wife is reluctant to go fully mobile (skype, Whats App,, Teams etc.) 🙂

Hi @mikewot

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

The call was genuine, we are conducting a switchover to our 21CV system and we're gradually migrating all customers over to this so the call will of been to double check any details so we can send an adapter out to you 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It’ll be interesting to see how things go with the changeover.
From what I’ve read if your internet goes down so does the phone.
If there’s a power outage then you also lose the ability to make a call where currently a user doesn’t.
Personal alarms for vulnerable people do not work with the new system.

I’ve also read that scam calls will be a thing of the past with the switchover but can’t see how unless there’s no phone number.

mikewot
On our wavelength

Thanks Travis. From what I understand you to say there won't be a switch off away from copper, all I require is an adapter? Curiously I have an appointment for an engineer to visit, which seems a waste of resource.

Seen some chat about a new hub, how can I blag one of them? 😉

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi mikewot,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

May I ask is the appointment regarding the phone line?

Also have you received any emails regarding a free Hub upgrade?

Thanks.

Kain

mikewot
On our wavelength

Hi Kain, yes the phone call was about switching away from copper to fibre and that was why they made an engineer appointment.  As I say my virgin connection is coax which kinda confused me 🙂 I work in Air Traffic Control and currently involved in a project to upgrade a Park Air (now Indra Navia) Garex 200 to the VOIP G300, so I have a little knowledge about VOIP phones, although I understand that the Virgin 21 system isn't VOIP, just a move away from twisted pairs.

No email about hub 5 (or 4), would just like one as I understand that the Wi Fi signal is significantly better. Live in an older house with brick walls and that kills the signal in a couple of rooms.