cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping two landline numbers

Stubbette
Tuning in

Wonder if anyone can help? We have built a new house about 6 houses away from our old one. We had a new Virgin Media broadband, TV and phone line installed at the new house as it had no connection there. We have now moved into the new house with the new account, but are also keeping the broadband and phone account active at the old house, as we will be renting it out.

So basically we want to swap the phone numbers between the two accounts, so that the phone number that everyone knows moves to the new house, and the number here (or any old number!) gets reassigned to the old house. 

I can find loads of info on how to MOVE the number with you (ie. disconnecting your old supply and connecting a new one) but nothing on what to do if you just want to move the number from an active connection to another active one, keeping both accounts intact.

Having had excellent, effective help from the forums before, this was my first port of call this time!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there @Stubbette

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums! 

This is something we can arrange for you, I'll send you over a PM now so we can arrange it. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the right hand screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The number you want to keep - has that always been with Virgin Media (or earlier companies) or was it originally a BT / Openreach line number?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Both numbers and accounts are Virgin Media combined TV/Broadband/Phone and both are active currently. The phone number was originally with BT and possibly then Sky, but has been with Virgin Media for a few years now. So both accounts are Virgin Media, but separate accounts as we couldn't get the new connection arranged without setting up a new account - otherwise they'd cut off the old one! It'd be far easier moving house than building one! 😉 

Thanks!

Hi there @Stubbette

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums! 

This is something we can arrange for you, I'll send you over a PM now so we can arrange it. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the right hand screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The reason for the question is that the only way I could immediately think it could be done on two active accounts would involve the number you want to keep temporarily being disconnected, as you can't have a number on two lines at the same time.

With numbers transferred in from other providers (no matter how long ago it was) a number disconnection would start a process of that number being returned to it's owner.

The question I don't know is if Virgin Media have a way to stop that happening for your situation.

A normal account transfer at a house move has a defined process to ensure that the number is only active on one line at a time, so it's not an issue then.

EDIT: I trust @Ashleigh_C will have options to sort this 🙂

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Thanks both... I'm in touch with Ashleigh regarding this.

We don't mind if the "want to keep" number goes offline temporarily, as long as we get to swap it over to the new house. Like most people, it's only our 2nd line of defence when it comes to making phone calls nowadays! But getting elderly parents to store a new number in their phone would take hours! 😉

Hi @Stubbette thanks for getting back to us.

As you're in liaison with Ashleigh regarding your issue, to avoid confusion, we're going to get this thread closed down.

Regards

Lee_R

No problem... thanks for sorting things out so quickly and efficiently again!!! 🙂

Hi there thank you so much for connecting with me via the PM @Stubette and I am so happy that we have now been able to sort this for you! 

Please don't hesitate to reach out to us again via the forums should you ever need any assistance! 

Thank you.