cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping copper to fibre?

Utukku
Tuning in

I have had an email, plus a connector delivered saying you are swapping my line over to fibre via the hub. So do I only need to connect this 1 dongle to my hub and the phone nearest it and the other phones will still work?

Utukku

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

@Utukku wrote:

I have had an email, plus a connector delivered saying you are swapping my line over to fibre via the hub. So do I only need to connect this 1 dongle to my hub and the phone nearest it and the other phones will still work?

Utukku

It depends on the type(s) of phone you have. Are they the DECT-type phones where you a basestation which plugs into a wall socket and the others are wireless and just need power, or are all the phones plugged in to wall sockets? If the former then the basestation needs to be plugged into the hub via the adapter and the rest will just work, if the latter then you will need a VM technician visit to run wires between the hub and the closest wall socket.

I have 1 phone plugged into the main socket, and a set of wireless ones plugged into another. So looks like I have to get rid of the non wireless one, or maybe get rid of the phone line, seeing as the phones stop working if power cuts, burglar alarms attached or medical alerts just don't work with this new setup. Makes me wonder about keeping it.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Utukku,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with the new Home Phone Switchover that we're slowly implementing.

If you have any home alarms attached to your current landline, we would advise getting in touch with the alarm service provider to see if they have any adaptable connections to the new system set up, as many other service providers will be looking to switch their landline systems over to 21CV (twenty-first century voice).

We do offer EBULs (Emergency Backup Lines) for the new landline system which will still support any medical alerts that are needed. This way, even if there is an outage that impacts your Hub and your Landline, the EBUL will work and will be used as a life line in case of an emergency.

You can read more about this Landline Switchover on our FAQ page

Please let us know if you need any further assistance with this. We're here to help. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Utukku wrote:

I have 1 phone plugged into the main socket, and a set of wireless ones plugged into another. So looks like I have to get rid of the non wireless one, or maybe get rid of the phone line, seeing as the phones stop working if power cuts, burglar alarms attached or medical alerts just don't work with this new setup. Makes me wonder about keeping it.

Do you actually make use of a burglar alarm, medical devices, care alert systems or have you just noted this from VM's switchover info? You are correct in noting that the phone will not work during a power cut or if the hub is offline for some reason.

You need to request a free VM technician visit to link your existing telephone extension sockets to the phone socket on the back of the hub as part of the switchover process which should allow all of your phones to work as they do at present.