cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping EBUL 1 for EBUL 3

the_hidden_one
On our wavelength

I received 2 letters from VM relating to the EBUL; as the first made little sense I almost disregarded the second. The Burnside Unit (EBUL 1) was replaced with a Motorola FW500 (EBUL 3). Currently this unit displays "line fault mobile mode" when disconnected from the Hub 3. An engineer has to return to complete the setup! Meanwhile no emergency backup.

Why did the physical unit need to change? In case of emergency one of the family has to go to a fixed location to use a static phone. Previously all calls went through the Burnside unit which made life a little easier. I understand the switching from EE to O2 would mean a change of SIM (the replacement is 5G ready) but not a unit.

These units still do not allow calls to an undertaker or relatives if the hub has powered down or one supplier's network is down. When the EBUL 1 was installed the engineer told me to put money on the SIM; now have a SIM which does not work with money I can't transfer to another phone.

It appears that VM has again shot itself, and those who need an EBUL, in the foot again. Perhaps a moderator would care to pick this up and kick it up the line to VM's senior management.

6 REPLIES 6

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, @the_hidden_one,

Thanks for your post, and welcome back to our Community Forums!

I'm sorry you're currently seeing some issues in regards to the new EBUL device you have been provided. Due to our migration to 21CV/VOIP technology, we have had to make multiple changes to the way these systems work.

Unfortunately, the EBUL devices were never designed to be used to make calls to services/people other than 999. The EBUL itself needs to be charged and will work in the event of a power outage/the broadband going down. I've taken a look at things on our end and I can see that the EBUL has been recognised as faulty, and there is a Technician due to attend to resolve this.

We don't require the EBUL SIMs to be topped up, and this shouldn't be done as it still may not allow you to make these non-999 calls.

Regards,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Reece

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Although the EBUL units were not designed for other than emergency use I was surprised when the engineer, who installed the EBUL 1, told me to put money on the card, which I did, and was able to make other outgoing calls when the unit was disconnected from the hub. There is still a sum of money on that SIM card. The EBUL 3 uses a SIM card and it appears possible to add the number to a mobile account, although I was not able to prove that with the EBUL having a fault. The VM system may not be able to send the installation code to the unit.

Although a long retired development programmer, with some experience of telephony, the situation suggests to me that it may require intent on the part of VM to expand the features and benefits of their units. VM, BT and other providers have to configure a backup system for medical equipment, burglar and fire alarm systems. 

Regards

the_hidden_one

@the_hidden_one wrote:

Reece

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Although the EBUL units were not designed for other than emergency use I was surprised when the engineer, who installed the EBUL 1, told me to put money on the card, which I did, and was able to make other outgoing calls when the unit was disconnected from the hub. There is still a sum of money on that SIM card. The EBUL 3 uses a SIM card and it appears possible to add the number to a mobile account, although I was not able to prove that with the EBUL having a fault. The VM system may not be able to send the installation code to the unit.

Although a long retired development programmer, with some experience of telephony, the situation suggests to me that it may require intent on the part of VM to expand the features and benefits of their units. VM, BT and other providers have to configure a backup system for medical equipment, burglar and fire alarm systems. 

Regards

the_hidden_one

Sadly this isn't correct. Service providers are only required to support calling 999/111 as a minimum. Everything else is up to you or the supplier. 

-----------

To quote https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/faqs/ 

The new system will be powered by your home electricity so if there is a power cut it will mean that you will not be able to make or receive landline calls. It is similar to how the current DECT (cordless) home phones work today. If you have a mobile phone this can be used in the event of a power cut.

Let your home phone provider know if you are about to move to the new service and you have no alternative method of calling the emergency services. For example:

• If you live somewhere where there is no mobile coverage;
  • you don’t have a mobile phone; or
  • you depend on your landline (e.g. for disability or accessibility requirements).

In these cases, your provider should offer you a solution to allow you to call the emergency services, at the very least, during a power cut.

If other equipment you use needs to be plugged into your phone socket, for example, text relay equipment, fax machines, care alarms, burglar alarms and security systems, these will not work over the phone line in a power cut. So, it’s really important that you tell both your phone provider and the company that supplies you with the special equipment

-----------

Yes, it's bonkers and very shortsighted and is the reason why I have my own secondary, and soon a third, backup solution on top of the EBUL v3

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

Thanks mpmc for the information. While the VM, BT et al are only required to provide the minimum emergency links (999/112) it is not in their best business interests not to use the EBUL 3 more fully. As far as I can see from the FW500 literature not only does it work with fixed line it also works with cell towers. From my meagre experience of telephony a change in the computer based infrastructure could release more features and benefits for use when the twin wire, co-ax or fibre links are offline. If the possibility of offering a PAYE facility (which VM/o2 no longer offer) then there would be no need for additional backup systems.

A quick update mpmc. The EBUL 3 had a fault so I was unable to do a test; however, from the replacement I have been able to call my own and my wife's mobile and hold a conversation. I had to disconnect the EBUL from the Hub so it might be worth trying rather than going to extra layers of expense.

Yes.

Me and another user (on here) discovered you could make calls with the EBUL v3 from the get go, but there is no call charges or mentions of it anywhere, I made a few tests calls and never got charged for any! VM still insist it's just 111/999 but I suspect that is a bad attempt at preventing it from abuse - which at the moment it's ripe for :(.

It's still not very useful to those who need to connect other devices (lifeline things, alarms etc) as there is no pass-through. Unless I missed a port somewhere! The EBUL v1 allowed pass-through*

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).