cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange issues with international phone calls

Jess80
Joining in

Hi,

I recently had some strange issues with international phone calls I make or receive from my landline. I do not have issues with UK phone calls.

1. For one landline in France I call regularly and get called from, I do not have issues calling it. But sometimes when this number calls me, I hear no ring tone, I can only see on the screen that someone is calling, so I regularly miss calls from this number.

2. For another landline I call regularly in France, I hear people picking up and answering, but no one can hear me.

3. I also call a cell phone in France regularly. For a short time everything seems fine. Then all of a sudden I hear a repetition of what the person said previously over and over again (loop). The person on the other side of the line only sees that we were disconnected.

In the past I did not have issues calling or receiving calls from these numbers, except that when I was called by the landline mentioned in point 1., we were frequently cut off after an exact duration of call (roughly 30 min). This is not an issue anymore.

No answers to this on the virgin media website. I am not getting picked up by help over the telephone (after 50 min wait). What are other means to get help for this? Is anyone else experiencing any of the above issues? The people I call in France do not seem to have issues calling other people from their phones. Thanks.

26 REPLIES 26

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @Jess80

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - sorry to hear about your unusual issue with receiving incoming international calls at the moment. Is it the same number that you're having the issues with? 

I have located your account from your forum information and have done a few checks; we have no known area issues listed currently and your landline seems to be ok with no issues.

Can you advise when this first started at all?

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Jess80
Joining in

Hi,

I have the first issue with several international numbers actually, and it happenend first occasionally several months ago, but has become systematic now. I had changed my phone, thinking that it was linked to the phone being too old, but since I have the same issue with the newer phone, it must be connected to the phone line.

Concerning the second issue,it started about a week ago. Yesterday, I tried calling that number using Skype (Computer to telephone) and had the same issue, that is, people picking up, me hearing them, but no one hearing me. This is for that number only, so it must be connected to that specific line, though other people calling that line (from inside the country the phone is in) did not report issues.

Concerning the third issue, it started also about a week ago. It has stopped now, instead I am now simply cut off after a few seconds of conversation. Yesterday I could call that phone without any issues using Skype (Computer to telephone).

I called another phone in the same country without any issues.

It's hard for me to determine which issues are connected to the phone line, which potentially to the phone itself, or to the phone I am calling.

Have any other customers reported similar issues?

I also wonder why I cannot see who is calling when I receive an international call.

Hi Jess80, I am sorry to hear about this and want to get this resolved for you. I will send you a private message so that this can be looked into further for you. Chris 

Hi there, I am also having the same issue and no one in the technical department can assist.

This has been ongoing for over 3 months nows.

Please help.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @tybhunter778,

Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to understand that you're experiencing the same issue! 

Can you tell me more about what you're experiencing on calls? Are you having this issue with all calls, or just international calls?

I was able to locate your account from your Forum details and there are no active outages in the area that could be impacting your landline connection.

Please let us know when this started if you can.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

I kind of gave up on making calls to the numbers which I have issues with using my landline. My solution was to either call people using What's App (free) or using a Skype subscription to the country I'm calling frequently, which is cheaper than calling from my landline if I phone over a certain amount of minutes in a month..

So, sorry, I did not really find a solution for the landline.

Hiya, 

Thanks for the reply. 

I made an appointment to get the engineer out for Monday. The Agent on the phone did some tests and found that there might be an issue in the wires....???🤔.

But your right Jesse, skype and watsapp are the way to go....

Have a great day.

Hi there,

This started over 3 months ago where everything is fine but after two minutes or so I hear a repetition of what the person said previously over and over again (loop). The person on the other side of the line only sees that we were disconnected.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @tybhunter778,

Thank you for getting back to us about this issue! 

I can see that you have been in touch with our team this morning to arrange a technician appointment! That's great to hear!

Please keep us updated on this issue and let us know if the technician was able to resolve this problem. We're more than happy to look into this further if needed.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs